23 March 2011

Retail preparation for Italy

Tagged: Fashion, travel

Holy schnikes, one month from today I will be on a plane to Italy for TWO WEEKS. OMFG.

And in order to offset a lot of the trip costs, I’ve been diligent at saving, which means little going out and shopping. Yes, it sucks bigtime. I’m literally going crazy. But, even though I’m saving, I did have to make a few pre-trip purchases.

Yes, it’s a mix of being practical and feeding the urge for doing a little spending.

First Italy-intended purchase:

New spring jacket. I have an Eddie Bauer fleece that is looking pretty rough after six years, so a new spring-like jacket for Italian evenings is necessary. So I went to North Face to scope it out and I walked out with this.

I like the fitted shape and that it will keep the wind off me.

Upgraded camera. Until now, I’ve been shooting photos with a Canon Point & Shoot 7 Megapixel camera. On clear days, it’s amazing but in any kind of low light, it’s very unreliable and therefore very frustrating. So in prep for Italy, I decided to finally bite the bullet and invest in something amazing: an SLR.  Behold this beauty.

I’m still learning how to use it but so far, I’m really enjoying it. The picture quality is SO much better. And with an 18-135 lens, let’s just say, I can get really close. I cannot wait to be more comfortable with this for my trip.

Yes, there has also been a little non-Italy spending too….new wallet and spring clothes but still, I will pack those clothes and carry that wallet in Italy so yes, it’s a justified spending. Plus, almost all of my clothes don’t fit right now and I’m tired of feeling frumpy in everything I wear.

Despite this, I’m still trying to keep pre-Italy-necessary purchases to a minimum but if I use it when I’m there, that counts right?

Do you shop for your vacations?

1. Elizabeth says:

I’m so glad you got the camera! It’s a huge learning curve, but so very rewarding.

2. Leah says:

I am a Canon girl and I love my Canon Rebel, DSLR. It’s my first ‘real’ camera since undergrad (read: the old film kind where we had to work in a darkroom to develop the photos). :) Can’t wait to read your posts from Italy (or after your trip if you’re too busy to post). :)

Oooh, a new camera. I really need one. Jealous of yours!

Pretty much the only vacations I shop for are when we go on cruises. They’re my only excuse to shop for fancy dresses so I always have to buy at least one :-)

make sure you’ve got a super big memory card too! we took way too many pictures when we were there and i was so grateful to have a couple memory cards. woo.

5. Renee says:

I found that fleece for half off at REI a few weeks ago! I got it in cranberry and seriously adore the crap out of it.

6. phampants says:

Does that camera shoot video?

7. Marjolein says:

I have such a jacket too (north face wind wall jacket) – very practical to have with you while travelling!

I don’t really shop for holidays as we usually go to cities or we go camping, and we’ve got all our camping gear + appropriate clothes already.

I’m so excited you’re going to Italy, you’re going to love it!!

8. Oh, heck yeah! Part of our vacation budget has to go toward pre-travel spending ;) It seems like there’s always something I “need” to have before we head out! I think the jacket will do a great job of keeping you warm, and the camera will definitely help you get some awesome shots.

SO JEALOUS.
    I almost always buy myself something for my trips, whether it’s a new piece of clothing, a new purse or simply just a new book to read on the plane.
    I love that North Face fleece and that it’s fitted. Probably looks super cute on you.
    Can’t wait to see photos and hear allllll about your trip :)

10. I am so envious of your Italy trip! I can’t wait to read all about it!

Yes, I am a total vacation shopper. Heck, I am a weekend at the lake shopper!

11. molly says:

It’s so soon, so before I forget, here’s an awesome restaurant in Rome. One of the best meals I’ve ever had was here. It’s called Santo Padre. http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Italy/Lazio/Rome-144659/Restaurants-Rome-Santo_Padre-BR-1.html

So excited for you!

I love that jacket!!

At first I was going to say I don’t shop for trips, but then I remembered that I have! When we went to Mexico last year I had to buy a new sun hat (totally necessary) and a bathing suit (not so necessary). When I went to Italy, I definitely bought things — shoes, a little jacket, etc. Also something you might want to think about is that I bought is a little pouch thing for my passport and cash. I used it as my wallet while in Italy. Sometimes they go around the neck, but mine when around my waist. It was really flat, so I could wear it under my clothes and feel like I had everything with me, but not feel like I had to contort myself when I needed to get cash or a credit card. I tried not to carry a purse while I was there just for convenience and security. Though, my friend did carry a bag and we didn’t have any issues!

13. Camera- SO important and comfy shoes! the streets are old and uneven. AH im so jealous!!!

14. i am so excited to hear about your italian trip! i had a blast when i went two years ago!

love your camera, i would love an slr!

but i do some shopping pre-trip if it is a big one – before europe in january i had to buy a ton of things!

15. April says:

That camera looks hot. Does the lens stick out very far when it’s on? That’s the thing I don’t like about SLRs. Can’t wait to see some amazing Italian food shots!!

I try not to shop for trips either, but there’s always something isn’t it?