31 March 2011

My obsession with the color purple

Tagged: Random

Nope, I’m not talking about the book, movie or even Oprah this time. I’m literally just talking about the color purple (and its friends, lavender, lilac, berry, etc.)

My wardrobe and accessory collection have been infected with a case of the color purple. And it was totally unintentional.

And fortunately, being infected with the color purple does not involve a plum rash or itching. Phew!

So how did my wardrobe get taken over by purple?

It started with a harmless pair of adorable lilac Uggs years ago, which I finally broke out this year. Suddenly, I need to replace my baby blue Longchamp Le Pilage purse and when shopping, I fall in love with a deep purple color. Gorgeous!

Then winter hits and I dig in my closet and pull out the old berry-colored Coach gloves to sadly replace the black leather gloves I lost last year. Still mad about that. Add in a purple-pink scarf that I bought for $5 in New York City to keep me warm in my puffer coat  and holy sh*t all I’m wearing are purple-esque colors.

I had no idea I had that much of one color scheme until I put it together and ran in to a friend of mine. She commented about how purple-y I was and suddenly it all fell together. No one has gone as far to call me Violet Beauregarde but I fear that if I buy too much more purple items, I will turn in to her.

The funny thing is, blue is my absolute favorite color. I’m just cheating on it right now with purple because I’ve loved the color lately in the stores. I love big, bold color and the deep purples and berry shades were really calling to me. Now I have to space it out and mix in my standard gray, black and white so I don’t look like a grape walking around.

And I won’t even mention the lilac Marc by Marc wallet I bought either, I’ll just group that under, “whatever it’s pretty and on sale.”

What colors do you always buy?

Clearly, I need a purple intervention and be put back on my path to blue, which is my favorite color.

Update 4/1: As promised! This week’s Street Food Friday post from Lacey. Check out the Korilla BBQ truck. Sounds amazing.

1. suecamp says:

practically everything I have is purple bags purses clothes even tattoos

2. kristy says:

i freaking love purple! my whole room is purple..sheets, pillows, decorations, curtains…i started liking purple when i went to a makeup artist and she told me that certain purple eyeshadows would make my green eyes pop….and then idk it suddenly morphed into an obsession i guess….i go clothes shopping if i cant find it in purple i always get black next lol…

3. Stephanie says:

I discovered today that I have a black sweater problem. I finally put away many many loads of laundry I have been avoiding and found far too many black sweaters. But I am always cold and they are great over a short sleeve shirt or tank! I am also obsessed with anything black and white…not necesarrily clothing. But decorations. Or serving dishes. Or just any….stuff. I want it. But then try to tell myself “no” and then put it back. It doesn’t always work.

When I was little, maybe 7 or 8, I was OBSESSED with purple. Everything I owned was purple — velcro sneakers, corduroys, plaid shirts. You name it, I had it in bad ’80s fashion. My mother and I had a blowout at Youth Colony shopping for school clothes because everything I wanted was purple. Now I wear so much black, she wishes I’d inject more color into my wardrobe. Be careful what you wish for, right? :)

5. E.P. says:

Pssh. You don’t need a purple intervention. Seriously. It’s my favorite color, and I have a LOT of purple in my wardrobe… and I could always use more! … Just sayin’. Wear it and love it!

6. San says:

Purple is preeeetty! Nothing wrong with having a little purple obsession :)

Purple is one of my most favorite colors and it makes me happy to know that you’ve fallen in love with it too. I think its such a fun color. Add some yellow accessories and you’ll be ready for Spring!

Purple is my very favorite color.

Let me tell you about the time I went to the OB this summer wearing a purple shirt, purple sandals, purple glasses, purple underwear, and carrying a purple purse. True story. I have a problem.

9. eemusings says:

Right now, I want tops/cardis in a rich deep pure purple and teal. And brown boots!

10. Stevie says:

Purple is my favorite color! I’m always drawn to purple and blue hues. I bet purple looks beautiful on you with your skin tone!

11. Purple is one of my faves! it looks good with my hair color lol. I tend to buy alot of black, sadly haha.

12. OOoooh. I love some purple but I am a bigger fan of green, and any shade at that. But my go to wardrobe staple? Black. Its just easy.

13. Lauren says:

Purple IS my favorite color. And every accessory I own is now that color. I never ever had a favorite color growing up. I just couldn’t decide. Then, three years ago, I got a pair of purple sunglasses for my birthday. Instantly, I realized purple was my FAVORITE color. Since then, if I have a color choice, I always pick purple. Some days I’m a little ‘overly purple’ but there are so many shades of purple that I just think it makes me look a bit artsy!

If you ever start to hate the purple, you know who will want them!

I also own a lot of purple clothing. It just looks good on me so I gravitate towards it. Strangely, accessories tend to be red so I have to be careful I don’t end up like a member of the red hat society.

15. Kez says:

Look, I don’t want to blow your mind, but my favourite colour is a mauvey, royal blue hybrid.
    BLUEANDPURPLEINONE!
    So stunning – my eye is ALWAYS drawn to it in the shops.
    x

16. Amanda says:

I have quite a bit of purple too, since I have green eyes and that seems to work, ha! Otherwise, mostly black. I just can’t quit it.

17. Renee says:

I’ve been OBSESSED with the color purple ever since I decided I wanted a purple wedding cake. Such a lovely color, though, so I’ve decided not to seek treatment for my obsession. ;-)