Last year, before I went to Napa for a week, I posted some of my pre-vacation fears because, well I was nervous. It was the first long trip I would take alone and I was still early in my travel for one adventures so anxiety was high. Some of my nerves were normal and maybe a little crazy but getting them out there helped.
And now it’s time to do that again.
In just a few days, I leave for my Italian vacation.
I’m excited and shocked that it’s finally time to go but I’m also scared as sh*t.
My mind cannot turn off about things I’m nervous and worried about, such as:
- What if I don’t sleep on the flight? Will Advil PM really do the trick?
- What if I have an awful time overseas?
- What if I get lonely? Two weeks is a long time!
- What if no one speaks English and they throw pasta or food at me when I butcher the language?
- What if I get lost, miss my train or have literally no idea where I’m going?
- What if my hotels are awful and I run out of stuff to do?
- What if I don’t get to do everything I want?
- What if I get flagged at customs and get the “friendly” security check?
Wow, re-reading this, it’s amazing I’m not clinically crazy. Goodness.
The thing is, no matter how much I research, ask questions of friends that went to Italy, etc., I have a tendency to get worked up about the unknown. Why? Because I have no idea what to expect, especially because it’s international travel.
I’m so grateful to those that have answered my questions and lent me books about the trip and I think I’m panicking because I’m feeling like I’m pretty prepared to go.
I guess what I’m most scared of is that after all this planning, travel and money, I’ll leave disappointed but I have to let that fear go.
So I’m trying to get everything done this week and then focus on the main thing, being able to go off the grid while I’m gone so I can really relax.
Woo! Here we go!
What about you? Do you ever get pre-travel nerves?