24 May 2011

Upcoming travel adventures

Tagged: travel

This weekend is Memorial Day, the official kick off for summer (even though it barely feels like spring in Chicago). And after looking back at my Italy photos to recap my trip, I’m slowly getting ready to start looking ahead to my next batch of travel adventures!

Yes, since I started my travel adventures a year ago, I have officially been bitten by the travel bug. I love Chicago, being here with my friends and enjoying my surroundings but the urge to get out there and see new things is SO strong.

So to keep the momentum going, I’ve made a list of places I plan to visit during the rest of 2011 and early 2012. Why make a list? Well, I’m a planner so me and lists are BFFs. Plus, it helps me organize my vacation time and figure out when I need to start budgeting.

Let’s take a closer look at solo travel 2.0:

Summer/Fall 2011:

Los Angeles - Most of my California travels have taken me to San Francisco but this time, I’m off to LA to visit the lovely Jenn and be a tourist (proudly!)

Seattle/Vancouver - I’ve NEVER been to the Pacific Northwest but I hear it’s gorgeous! And I’ve never been to Canada so I’m excited to see two new parts of the country (and our neighbor to the north)

London or Paris - That’s right! I’m going back to Europe. I haven’t decided which one I’m going to yet but it I am so excited!

Early 2012:

Hawaii – Another place I’ve never been! And the history buff in me is dying to see the USS Arizona Memorial in Honolulu and get lei’d (TWSS)

Europe - Potential locations include the South of France or Barcelona

Yes, this is a bit ambitious but I’m going to do everything I can to make it happen. And the one thing that will be different from these other trips? I won’t be going for another two weeks or if I do, I won’t do the entire thing alone again.

Going alone to Italy was such an amazing time and a great challenge, but it was also VERY lonely at some points. I don’t regret it, but I learned a lot from it, including how I would do things a little differently next time.

What about you? Any big travel plans this weekend, summer or over the next few months?

1. Shallow says:

London OR Paris? Do them both together! I visited both for 5 days in December, and had a great time. Although only having 1 1/2 days in Paris made things feel a little rushed. For me, I was so excited for Paris that I feel like I could ignored just how great London really is, if I get a chance to go back, I will def soak it in more. If you could do 7-10 days and take your time that would be ideal. The train from London to Paris is only 2 hours and if you book early enough, pretty darn cheap!

2. Heidi Renée says:

I’m working through the weekend, so no travel for me, but in June I’m going home to Michigan for a week for my sister’s wedding and in July we’re going to San Jose to see NKOTBSB. I hope we get a chance to do more, but Jason’s deployment schedule is up in the air so we can’t make any plans yet.

3. Christie says:

Summers in Seattle can’t be beat! Enjoy!

Big plans? Moving this weekend.
    LA in July for work.
    And then a trip to the great north for a cabin weekend in October. That’s pretty much it for now, at least this year.

In 2012 I hope to get to Utah for a friend’s 30th, hit up Florida as per usual, and then wherever Knight and I honeymoon. We are thinking Puerto Rico just to change it up a bit.

I can’t wait to hear about the rest of your trips!

5. You’re so lucky to have so much vacation time, and it’s awesome that you use it to see the world! The Arizona is incredibly moving, and if you have time and really want to relax, head to Kauai–paradise on earth!

6. i’m off to nashville this weekend then locally in Maine and Vermont for weddings in Sept. Nothing really else planned- I would LOVE to go back to Florence next year. we shall see if my finances allow- I must stop shopping lol

I’d love to hear more about what you learned while traveling alone and what you plan to do differently next time.

I have no big travel plans this summer which is kind of a downer. But I think I’m going to take a week off work and play Chicago tourist. I’ve lived here three years and barely know anything about the city.

8. Ahhh soooo jealous! I love all of the places you are going! I loved loved loved Seattle and wish I had more time to explore the rest of the Pacific Northwest when I was there!

And more Europe! I love London and miss hoping over there all the time. Barcelona is a fabulous city

What would you have done differently? I’m curious as a solo traveler myself.

And well no major vacation plans at the moment which is no fun.

I am so jealous of your upcoming adventures….I have been to Hawaii though…it is gorgeous and has so many great things to see.

yay cannot wait for your trip to LA! woo hoo!

also the rest of your travel itinerary makes me so incredibly jealous, i so need a big trip again too!

I’m really excited for all of your upcoming trips and adventures. Seattle seems like such a fun place to visit. I would love to visit all those places and more.

12. Akirah says:

Man…I am so jealous. You will have a blast. I’m planning on Boston this summer. Can’t commit to much else with grad school, work, and an internship. Just continue to blog all your travels and I will continue to live vicariously through you. :)

13. Ali says:

SO jealous but SO happy for you that you get to experience all of this!

14. I’m so excited for you to visit Vancouver! I have to make a trip down to Vancouver on wedding-related business this summer so keep me updated on the dates you’ll be there and hopefully we can get together!!

I think it’s SO AWESOME you are planning on hitting up Europe 3 times in a year!!! I am dying to go back. One day soon, hopefully!

Can you share some tips on how you budget and save for all your travel? I adore traveling, so much, but it always seems like there’s not enough money to do it! Sigh!

15. Jenn says:

Super excited that you’re coming to visit and looking forward to hearing all about your other trips (once they happen!). I’m living through you. For now.

16. San says:

Those are exciting trips to look forward to! Awesome!

My parents will be visiting from Germany this summer, so we’ll be going on a little NP-trip around the Southwest…. then I plan to go back to Europe for Christmas hopefully.

17. Cass says:

Excited to have you in Seattle, but may I suggest summer (and not fall)? Although the leaves changing is pretty, fall is pretty much rain every day. Summer on the other hand is gorgeous, and the main reason I still live here. When I take a vacation it’s always Oct-May because I’d rather be home Jun-Sept.

18. the older i get, the more i realize i’d rather spend my money traveling than acquiring stuff! you are rocking the trips, i love it! (and i’m so pumped you’re going to seattle! let me know if you want restaurant recs!)

19. Kim says:

I would love to go back to London and I’ve never been to Hawaii, your trips sound so fun. I’ve been to Portland and I absolutely loved it so I’m betting Seattle would be great also.

So far this year I’ve only managed to hit Florida and Arizona, but I would REALLY love to get down to Napa valley or over to DC. Not sure I’m as brave as you though to go it alone, but here’s to hoping!

20. Carolyn says:

These trips sounds amazing. I’ve always wanted to see the Pacific Northwest too!

You should go to both London and Paris! Once your in London it’s just a quick hour flight to Paris and you can usually get a good fare. You could take the train, but in my experience the trains are so much more expensive than flying! Check out Ryan Air and Easy Jet. I flew from London to Paris and paid only 80 bucks roundtrip!! Good luck!

I wondered how you felt traveling alone in Italy for 2 weeks. I give you a ton of credit for it! I think it’s a good idea to mix it up and maybe do half alone and half with someone the next time you cross the pond!

22. AshleyD says:

Those sound like awesome trips and I’m more than a little jealous.

To answer your question about Venice, I thought the city was gorgeous and loved wandering the streets, but I was traveling by myself for the first time and got so lonely- I don’t think I’ll do that again.

23. L.C.C. says:

Well, we’ve done Barbados and Iceland this year for our honeymoon. Current plans include Munich and Prague for August and hopefully Boston for thanksgiving!

Having been to all the places you want to go (except Vancouver) I can heartily, heartily recommend them – London being the best (obviously! I’m such a Londoner…!) How exciting all your travel plans :):)

24. Stevie says:

Soooo excited for you to come to Seattle! Woohoo!

And Hawaii! That’s so great. I was born in Hawaii, lived there as a kid, and have been back several times since we moved. You’ll love it!

25. lbluca77 says:

Oh you will love Hawaii. It is one of those places you can’t help but be relaxed in. I did the USS Arizona Memorial last time I was there and it is a must see. Also I went to the Dole Plantation and it was a lot more interesting than I thought learning about pineapples would be. If you have time I recommend you see that.