21 June 2011

Dress me: Retirement party chic

Tagged: Fashion

As much as I love fashion, I am very indecisive at times about what to wear to certain events. In those situations, I turn to my friends and then Twitter and/or this blog for your feedback as well.

Brace yourself, it’s that time again.

This weekend, I will be attending a retirement party, so I thought a new, fancy dress he/she hasn’t seen me in would be appropriate. But my usual places (Nordstrom, Banana) were coming up a bit dry and I didn’t have a ton of funds to donate toward this, so I decided to look for something simple that I could complete by shopping my closet.

And to my sincere shock, Express, provided me with two options that are affordable, comfortable, pretty flattering and, well, age appropriate (aka not what you would necessarily find on a tall, thin model). Tickle me surprised! I also shopped my closet a bit too.

Anyhow, I need your help to decide what to wear!

Background: The party will be held at a home in mid-afternoon. Attendees will likely be dressed in a mix of “dressy” casual and more business casual wear. Also, apologies ahead of time of the poor quality pictures at top.

Option 1: Express

Will be paired with pink Tory Burch flats, gold necklace and charcoal cardigan (in case it’s cool)

Option 2: Express cotton LBD with ruffles

Will be paired with gold shoes and earrings

Option 3: Closet shop

Previously considered as Mexico wedding outfit option

Will be paired with silver shoes and necklace

Option 4: Closet shop

Previously considered as Mexico wedding outfit option

Will be paired with gold silver shoes and necklace

What one should I wear? I literally cannot decide.

1. Umm, I might be too late on this one, depending on when the party is, but I ADORE that first one! Like crazy! … And I might have to go to my local Express to get one for myself!

2. Stacy says:

Definitely Option 2 – LBD you can’t go wrong, plus it’s really pretty, flattering, and you can dress it up or down.

3. Marjolein says:

I mean LBD… (although I have to say you look great in all outfits).

4. Amanda says:

I vote LBD! If you feel like it’s too formal for an afternoon, you could “fun it up” with a cardi or accessories. My second choice is #3 :)

5. Stephanie says:

I LOVE Option 2. Then Option 3. I think Option 2 is very flattering on you. So is 3. But all are cute! You will good in whatever you pick.

oh they are all so cute! i say if it’s an afternoon party i vote on option one but if it’s evening i vote on option two, you can’t really go wrong with a LBD.

7. RebeccaC says:

Love love LOVE the orange. So polished and happy. Since everyone else seems to live 1 tho I’ll make one suggestion: instead if flats possibly consider a strappy platform wedge sandal (with a cork heel if possible) for a little more height and boho style ; )

PS I realize I haven’t seen you in person since Dec since you had the nerve to be in Italy when I was home but WHERE IS THE REST OF YOU??? You look fantastic!!

8. 1 or 2 but if i HAD to pick, i’d go with 1!

I like #1 and #2! :)

10. I would go with one of the two darker dresses. I think the other two might be a little bright/casual for this kind of affair. #1 was my favourite on you, though, but it is kind of casual…I think, based on your description of the event and the way the outfit looks, my vote is for #4!

11. nic says:

The first one! I really like the pattern and color with your hair. So fancy!

Wow, everyone’s out for Option 1, but I was leaning toward 2 or 3. I’m not a fan of the print in Option 1, nor the neckline. I like the LBD in 2 and 3 I think would match well with dressy casual or business casual guests!

How fancy is it? I love one and two but am leaning towards two. Mostly cause you look killer in it! One looks great, but more for a casual party or an outdoor picnic event kind of thing, at least from what I can tell. Love them both though.

14. April says:

Option 1! Bright but not too bright, dressy but not too dressy. Plus it’s new! New is always better.

15. Option 1 hands down. Most flattering on your body and most in style in terms of print/shape.

16. I’m a big fan of prints right now, so I’m going with option number 1!

17. I like 1, 2, and 3! I think i’d go with 3…fun pop of color!

18. Carolyn says:

Option 1 or 3. But since you said it was more casual I would go with Option 1. Bt all of them are really cute!

Option 1 or 2, definitely.

20. Aileen says:

Option 1 or 4 are my faves as I think they look bit more smart/casual but can be easily dressed up with the right jewellery and shoes. I think if it’s at someones home the LBD and option 3 are a bit too dressy but then saying that I come from Scotland where jeans seem to do for anything other than weddings, christenings and funerals! x

21. Options 1 and 3 are my faves, but really, you look fantastic in all of them! Have fun!!!!!!

22. Grace says:

option 3!! LOVE!!

23. Jenn says:

2 or 3!! 2 or 3!! You look hot in both. I’d hit it.

24. Jeanna says:

#1! Summery AND makes you the skinniest looking! Black is too much in summer (if it’s day time).

25. Stephanie says:

#3… #2 as a backup option

26. Kay Bee says:

Option 3 is super fun

27. Jac says:

I think that the number 2 option is my favorite overall BUT choice 1 is the most appropriate for the circumstances. Both LBDs are too dressy, in my opinion.

28. Arielle says:

Option 2, LBD. All the way.

29. Kez says:

I love option 2. It’s cute and dressy but casual. It will probably blend in well with everyone else if you’re worried about being too underdressed or overdressed. I think it’s all about accessories and shoes – they can change the whole look! Maybe some colourful, cheerful jewellery and your gold flats (which are so cute by the way) xo

30. brandy says:

What a fun idea! My vote is the first one. It looks so cheerful and perfect for a get together. Can’t wait to hear which one you picked!

31. Option 3. It’s fun and festive and so are old people! :-P