23 June 2011

Playing puppy bonus mom

Tagged: Random

This weekend, I’m trekking north to my second favorite state to attend a retirement and graduation party. I’m also playing “bonus mom” or “super auntie” to one of the loves of my life: my fur nephew Steve.

And I’m scared sh*tless.

Sure, I’ve been around him before but my bro and SIL were there and they knew what to do with him when he barked or what he wanted when he just stares at you or what he liked. Clearly, I do not. I once threw Cheerios at him to get him away from the door and had to push him back while shutting it so he didn’t follow me outside.

Worst human aunt ever.

Okay, I told my bro about that and he said it’s fine, but still. What am I going to do with him all alone?

What if he escapes or doodies in the house or gets sick? I don’t know how to handle that! Especially the last one. I guess, worst case is that we just sit and stare at each other, playing a game of human vs. dog chicken.

So I’m absolutely, 100% nervous about being with him alone but I am excited about one thing: snuggles.

I mean, look at this face? I could never turn away snuggles from him! Okay, this is an old picture but seriously, that face is too cute for words!

Yes, by process of default, I will be queen of the castle, he loves to snuggle and I am the only able body around him to do that. Come to butthead.

In this case, I’ll take sloppy seconds or thirds for puppy snuggles. Beggars can’t be choosers :) I’m even hoping for a puppy snuggle-induced nap. Oh, to dream of such a thing.

So any tips for me? Or any words of encouragement? Fingers crossed that Auntie Jess and lovey Steve survive the weekend.

Any big plans for you this weekend?

1. he’s so cute! hope you had a nice weekend puppy sitting. it can be tough- i dog sat my mom’s 2 dogs for a week and was exhausted! lol

You’ll be fine! Enjoy the puppy snuggles!

When I was in college my roommmate was housesitting/dogsitting for one of her aunts and the dog puked on the carpet. She called me in hysterics asking what to do. Now, I suppose, people could just get on Twitter and ask.

3. Aw, I’m sure you’ll both do great ;) Enjoy your puppy time!!

4. Lisa says:

You got this. Any messes made in the house (pee, poo vom), just clean it up, toss it in the trash and immediately take the trash out. Otherwise, I’m betting all he will need is cuddles and maybe a few toys. (When I babysat my doxie niece, I threw a ball for her and she was in heaven.)

I’m sure you’ll be more than fine this weekend! I’m not that far away from where they are, (I think?) so if you have a puppy emergency, give me a call or email me. All dogs will do anything for a biscuit or belly rub. Remember that and you’ll be queen of the castle for sure!

6. RebeccaC says:

You’ll do great. Just remember, when all else fails, snacks or toys will do the trick. And snuggles are usually very easy to come by (this coming from someone who regularly wakes up with a puppy belly on my head)

7. Your bro says:

He’s never pooped in the house so the odds are definitely on your side. He’s gotten sick a few times but they’re one-time occasions so just clean it up and move on. Best way to prevent him escaping is being outside w/ him. Just take the cover off the furniture and read a book while you’re out there w/ him. Anyone whose puppysat him have not had any issues so I doubt there’ll be anything to worry about. Just make sure he doesn’t eat anything w/ chocolate, onions and grapes.

8. Julianne says:

What a cutie! Just follow the dog’s schedule and you should be accident free. Have fun!

9. You will do fine! As long as they are fed, taken out and given attention- you are golden! Have fun!

10. Kez says:

Awww, don’t be scared! Just ask for your bro to point out the best cleaning products for the job (just in case) and if he knows what his dog does to tell you when he needs to go to the toilet.
    I’m sure you will be a great human aunt – keep him entertained – maybe bring a pack of treats (for added obedience and loves) and a new toy – he’ll love you forever!!
    Enjoy!!

My weekend is full of nice food (what’s new these days?!). Italian tonight with some high school friends and their husbands. Then Sunday dinner with inlaws. I bet there’s some other stuff too but I keep forgetting. We’ll probably play with our dogs a lot too – take them out and give them lots of attention xo