17 July 2011

Weekend recap: This Harry Potter thing

Tagged: Friends, Movies

Happy Sunday everyone! Right now, it is scorching hot in Chicago, even by the lake. Let’s just say, I’m not a happy camper.

But before it got hot, something very special happened, I lost my Harry Potter virginity.

Yes, that is correct and probably a tad inappropriate, but it’s true.

Before Friday, I had never seen a Harry Potter movie (in full) or read any of the books. And as of today, I have seen one of the movies. *insert heavenly music*

Despite my lack of Hogwart’s knowledge, I went with TC and two friends to see a very early Friday screening (aka 12:01 a.m.) in the burbs. It may be a long way to go for a movie, but there is good reason.

That theater is P-I-M-P.

Our theater had “premium” seating with a full recliner, blanket to keep me warm, pillow and a waiter to bring us free popcorn and drinks.

It was magical and I took advantage of EVERY SINGLE THING. I was at full recline with pillow to keep my head up (also so I don’t fall asleep) and blanket snuggled around me like a Glo Worm. I just needed to figure out how to grab my drink without moving. I should have left a comment card that said, “need longer straws.”

Anyhow, here is a silly photo of me tickled pink with joy over my theater seating. Hilarious.

So what did I think of the movie? I liked it. And I would see it again, after I catch up on the other movies and reconsider cracking open the books. Even though I knew little of what was going on, I still enjoyed it but more context will help me love it more.

Also, there was one part where tears were streaming down my face so hard I could barely see. Clearly, my waiter needed to be by my side to wipe those up. It was “premium” seating after all.

And the trailer for the Dark Knight Rises? Whoa, cannot wait.

How was your weekend? Did you see Harry Potter too?

1. Marjolein says:

So the movie does make sense without any previous HP knowledge? I saw the film last night and loved it too. But I have to say I love the books more and you will fly through them since they are basically written for children. So go and get the books, watch all the films and then watch this one again (it’s really the best film in the series)!

2. um what? that theater sounds incredible! how much were tickets?

seriously that is the best way to see a movie opening weekend, in pure style. glad you enjoyed it! now go catch up on the movies (and i’ll catch up on reading the books, haha)

4. Jenn says:

No Potter for me, but I DID eat sushi. I even tried eel! EEL! You’d be so proud of me.

5. I love that theater!! :-)

6. hey! just found your blog….i live by the city too, and it’s soooo hot today! :(

7. allison says:

I’ve seen parts of the movie with rob pattinson because it’s played all the time on HBO. That theater is amazing and I want one near us.

8. Cute pic! i am not a HP fan or fanatic..but i heard the movie was awesome!

9. Ha! That’s hilarious that you just went to the movie for the awesome theater ;) I do hope you give the other movies a shot, but even more, I hope you read the books. They are even better than the movies, and give you so much more detail and magic :)

10. pinkie says:

I saw it and loved it! You should catch up on the other movies. Some aren’t that great, but they’ll give you a backstory and you w ill understand more of what happened in DHpt2!

@matt-they shot it in Pittsburgh

11. Kez says:

I have to admit that I just cannot enjoy Harry Potter. I’ve half heartedly attempted to watch the movies and I’ve tried to have an open mind when people rave about the books, but fantasy has just never been my thing.
    However…I will enjoy ANY movie if there is premium (or gold class) seating :)
    Sometimes when the hubby and I are treating ourselves to a date, I will tell him he can pick ANY movie he wants as long as I get the big comfy seats and catering haha.

That theater sounds amazing! What a way to lose your Harry Potter virginity. I went to the midnight movie as well and loved it. The rest of the weekend I just laid low and caught up on sleep.

13. Melinda says:

That theater sounds amazing! I would seriously consider a trip to Chicago just to see a movie in a theater of reliners. Awesome!

14. That theater looks absolutely AMAZING, and it sounds like you had a fantastic time! And I hope that you try the books again… I promise they are totally worth it. (As someone who outright REFUSED to read them before Winston tricked me into watching the first movie, I can say that. And I can tell you that once you get into them, you’ll FLY through them. And cry like a baby during the last book. I may or may not have woken Lucy by weeping as I read through The Deathly Hallows late one evening…)

15. Arielle says:

I’m jealous of a) that theater and b) that you’re just starting out on your HP adventures. Because they are SO AMAZING and you have so much to look forward to! Please know that if you go through the books/movies and feel the need to discuss at any point, I am always available to talk Harry Potter. =)

16. Stephanie says:

Which theater is that? I live in the burbs and clearly need to start going there!

17. Grace says:

That theater looks amazing!!! I actually wrote a post about my HP experience too. It is absolutely dreadful compared to yours. I loved the movie though despite the theater being woefully inadequate. I am glad you liked it! I am surprised to see that a one time watcher still cried. I cried buckets but as a huge fan I think it was expected.

I have been dying to go to that theater. Hopefully soon!

As a huge HP fan, I was obviously super excited for the release. Loved it. Cried like a baby.

Hope you are inspired to try some more Harry. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

19. Matt says:

I’m guessing you were at the Yorktown Premium theater…if so, I saw Harry Potter at the same theater (but not the pimp seating) and a few hours after you did…the upshot is that our screening was private and free, courtesy of that one company in Redmond. They also gave away an Xbox Kinect, but I didn’t win it, so I’m going to pretend they didn’t.

And I had no idea there was another Batman movie coming until I saw that trailer. Did they not shoot it in Chicago??