22 July 2011

Mid-July malaise

Tagged: Random

I am in a funk. And it seems like I fall in to this funk every year around this time. I have a dramatic case of mid-July malaise.

And it makes some sense and no sense why at the same time.

July is like the middle movie in a trilogy, it drags a little bit. I equate July with feeling hot and sweaty on a bus with the itchy fabric chafing your legs and being sandwiched between two portly people whose sweaty skin is on yours, making you warmer and want to scream “NO TOUCHING” out loud after 45 minutes of this torture. Delicious.

July is also post May and June’s initial spring/summer excitement when my energetic “WOO!” becomes “woo, wtf is up with this weather?”

July is also the month before my birthday where the questions start of “what are we doing to celebrate?” “so? what are your plans, seriously,” and the general realization that OMFG another year has gone by and I’ll be one more year older soon.

It’s about that time that I get a burst of reality saying, yes, I will finally knit that sweater or go sky diving or accomplish anything else I’ve found excuses for over the last year. I will do it and do it before my birthday because I have to have it done by then to feel like the last year wasn’t a waste. Yes, I also have an overactive imagination. And no, I don’t feel that the last year was a waste.

Either way, the heat, building birthday dread and personal feelings of “why haven’t you accomplished this by your age” are weighing heavily on me lately. Oh and I’m hormonal so for now it’s a small pity party…with fro yo served to me and my guests.

Do you get in a mid-summer funk? Any big weekend plans? I’m just going to try and stay cool!

1. I’m kinda in a funk myself. I feel like the world is my oyster and I’m excited for the next adventure, but I wish I had someone to “adventure” with. My regular travel partner just got engaged and she never has any money to go anyways, so I’m kinda left here thinking- who will go with me?

And I use the guys I date as those year to date marks. Like, it’s been 3mo since my last date or 10mo since my last official relationship. And what have I done in those months since then?

I get the same way too. When July hits I’m feeling the end of summer coming, its too incredibly hot, and I’m just blah. Here’s hoping that our funks go away soon.

3. Marjolein says:

We finally have a weekend without any set plans so no big plans here.

Summer for me means a time to get things sorted for autumn. We usually clean up the apartment and storage box, sort out our administration (what can be thrown away, what needs to be stored elsewhere) and basically give the apartment an overhaul. But since this is the first summer I’ve worked at a commercial company (rather than semi-government) I only have 13 days of holidays and that’s it. Last year I had five weeks… But I’m trying to get as much done as possible anyway. Maybe sorting stuff out could help you with your summer malaise?

I get in that funk too….but this year I have a wedding to look forward to so it hasn’t been as bad.

5. Totally get you. I feel like I’m reaching for straws when trying to get motivated and positive. When you find a cure for the summer funk, let me know!!!! And I will send all sorts of good vibes your way for a fantastic birthday month ahead :)

i’m sort of in a funk because i’m just so busy and it’s slightly overwhelming and i feel like i can’t take time out for things i want to do. but oy, we will get through it together! woo!

7. Like some of the other gals, I get the February Funk. I do start freaking out around the end of July about my work schedule picking up and turning psycho busy in a month, though.

8. Cass says:

My malaise usually shows up mid winter due the weather here in Seattle, but July is one of my fav months. The weather is amazing (usually, just not now) and the majority of my family’s birthdays (mine included) are then. If anything it’s a huge pick me up.

And happy super early birthday. :-)

I have a mild panic attack this time of year thinking that summer is almost over and I haven’t done half the stuff I wanted to do!

10. Jenn says:

I’m with Angela… I usually fall into a funk around February or March. Maybe it’s the flashbacks to Chicago winters.

11. I start to get in a slight funk because at this time of year I realize that summer is almost over and I haven’t spent enough time on a boat!!!!!!!!!

12. Your July sounds like my February/March. Hope you climb out of the funk soon!

13. Kez says:

I get the opposite problem (same time of year – different hemisphere)! I have a mid winter funk. I am seriously affected by gloomy weather! I get all stir crazy and everything turns me into some kind of teenaged emo!
    I thought it would be a bit different with me being pregnant, but as usual I am just hanging out for spring!!