12 August 2011

Goodbye free dryer

Tagged: apartment

One of the crown jewels of Chicago apartment living is an in-unit washer and dryer. Seriously, I dream about it. So until I have this crown jewel to show off to my family and friends, I have to use the communal washer and dryers in my building.

It’s better than going to a laundromat but it’s still a pain.

Until, someone in my building introduced me to…free dryer.

Yes, a dryer among our communal ones that didn’t require coins to work. You just had to jimmy the coin slider (sans coins) and it would work. So, for the last 2 years, I’ve only had to pay to wash clothes, never dry. That’s a dollar savings (which makes long-term economical sense).

Then, I was doing laundry last night in prep for Seattle when I realized a painful truth. Free dryer was gone. That b*tch sold out and now takes coins.

In a matter of 10 minutes, I went through all stages of grief, starting with denial. I don’t want to say I got rough with free dryer, but yeah, I Ike Turner’ed her around a bit in case she was holding out. But deep down I knew, free dryer was gone.

So now I have to make sure I have coins to wash AND dry. I know this falls under the #firstworldproblems scenario but still. When you get used to something like this, it is sad when you know those good days are gone.

Fingers crossed that whatever broke her to begin with, breaks again. Until then, I pour some detergent on the ground to honor you, free dryer. I’ll see you with dryer sheets in the big laundry room in the sky.

Oddly, the “hogger” I once wrote about is STILL obsessed with using that dryer. I think she knows something I don’t…for now.

Sigh. Do you have any fun, sad or commiserating stories about laundry rooms?

Man, who had to go and tell one the dryer? That’s not cool. Hopefully someone can figure out how to rig it again so it can be free :)

2. Amy says:

I haaate shared laundry. I lived in a building that had a Free Dryer scenario and people would actually TAKE YOUR CLOTHES OUT WHEN THEY WERE STILL DAMP, like after 20 minutes, to use it. At another apartment some assclown had used bleach in the washing machine which left big white spots on a bunch of our clothes. Good times.

3. Mega says:

I don’t hate laundry as much as dishes. However, I still don’t care for it since its never done. Unless you have an in unit washer/dryer, then the dream is possible.

4. allison says:

I pour some laundry detergent out to you! hahahahahha That’s awesome.

5. Stevie says:

Oh man, I totally feel your pain! There is nothing I hate more than paying almost $3.00 per load to clean my damn clothes. In my old apartment, the washers and dryers were old enough that you could use the old nylon trick, which worked most of the time. But the machines in my place now have a different type of coin slot so it doesn’t work. Ugh. Some day I’ll have a washer and dryer of my very own….

oh man that stinks that it’s gone. and i cannot wait until the day we have an in-unit washer and dryer, that will be magical.

7. Ohhh free dryer! What a magical thing!

Since I’m apartment hunting in Charleston I would love an in unit washer/dryer too, because I hate laundry rooms and even more I hate laundromats! Ugggh – why is clean clothes such a hassle?

8. Jenn says:

I hate laundry rooms.

I hate the people who don’t clean out the dryer lint thingy. I hate people who spill detergent and don’t make an effort to clean it up. I hate people who leave their clothes in the washer/dryer for hours (who am I kidding, if 10 minutes goes by I’m pissed).

Laundry is stupid.

9. Ugh that sucks. Laundry is SO expensive sometimes. It used to cost me roughly $3.50 per load to wash and dry at my old place. I never had to use coins- thankfully we were given a card to put money on to use with the machines. I brought my laundry home *a lot* then. Now I have a wonderful apt with my own personal washer/dryer :) And although I hate the price of this place- that right there kinda makes it worth it!

10. Lacey Bean says:

The fact that you made “Ike Turner’ed” into a verb is my favorite thing ever.

11. phampants says:

LOL.

You should live a passive aggressive note on the dryer.

RIP free dryer….lint free lint traps fo’ life son :)