23 August 2011

Tagged: Random

Yes, I’ve been a bad blogger again because of traveling. I will be recapping Seattle/Vancouver this week but rather than start blogging again with that, I’m writing about something else.

Today is my 32nd birthday.

Last year, I wrote about looking forward to starting my 30s without the “turning 30″ shadow over my head and going after (finally) what I want.

And I did. In the last year, I’ve challenged myself a lot and stepped (at times) VERY far out of my comfort zone, but now, these adventures have put me in an awkward spot: at a crossroads.

Not to wax poetic, but in the course of this year’s activities, such as going to Italy, visiting friends in other cities and going through some personal challenges with weight and home items, it has left me closing 31 and entering 32 feeling a bit…uncertain.

Now that I’m in my 30s, have a little more disposable income and no husband, kids or dog to keep me in Chicago, I have a lot on my mind about where the future is for me in several parts of my life.

But of course, I’m not dwelling on these things today :) These are real questions and answers that need to be addressed in the next year, but not right now.

And in looking back at this year and the things I did and didn’t do, overall, I still feel optimistic about the future and content at where my life is at now. And I love that.

Yes, I have pushed to make up for things I didn’t do in my 20s, gained and lost dear friends, but with every new adventure, I cannot wait to see what will happen next. And there is much to look forward to: weekends in NY and LA, a trapeze lesson, holidays in Chicago (one of my favorite times of year here) and of course, more travel adventures (HAWAII!!!)

I continue to learn and make mistakes, that won’t change, but I’m no longer scared of what lies ahead. It’s time to continually embrace me, my life and the positive things within them. And I’m still grateful for those things.

So today I’m celebrating my birthday with a massage, mani/pedi, champagne and sea salt caramels, and dinner with my dad. Then, this weekend will get a little crazy (I hope!)

And I will be back to regular blogging this week! Hope you guys are still out there :)

1. Elizabeth says:

Happy belated birthday!

I love how much you travel, and cannot wait to see a Vancouver recap. I’m getting the itch STRONG again.

2. Jester says:

Happy Birthday!! I turned 31 this year. It’s not so bad as I thought :)

3. Arielle says:

Happy belated! :) I’ve said it a million times but I cannot wait for your NYC visit! I’m sure this next year is going to bring awesome things for you.

4. happy birthday :)

and yay for traveling so much this year! enjoy your pampering!

5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! (Hawaii? please take me!)

6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! It’s great you are embracing you! I feel much the same way right now in life. Very excited for the future. Enjoy your day!

hope you are having a most fabulous birthday friend! seriously your day sounds divine. also i am all for weekends in LA of course.

8. Lacey Bean says:

YAYYY Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!

9. Happy Birthday love! I really like your outlook on life. Can’t wait to see what the next year has in store for you!

10. Marjolein says:

Happy birthday!! Keep up the positivity in your life :)

11. Ray says:

Happy Birthday!!! Enjoy your special day, especially those sea salt caramels :)

12. allison says:

sea salt caramels!

I need to try those!

13. Happy birthday and congrats on being in a position to write your own destiny. Look forward to what is next.

I’ve become so jealous of your travel adventures. Can’t wait to hear about the Pacific NW!

And Happy Birthday!

15. Cass says:

Sounds like a perfect day, happy birthday!

16. NoodlesinChi says:

Happy birthday, lady! Here’s to another year of fabulosity!

17. Happy birthday! (and trapeze lesson? Sweet!)

What you said about continuing to make mistakes and face challenges yet not being worried about what lies ahead and being happy with where your life is — a thousand times yes to this. It’s those feelings that keep me from ever feeling that the 20s are where it’s at. I’d much rather be comfortable with and confidant in myself even with added pressures and responsibilities than go back to the confusion and transition that was so much of my early to mid 20s.

18. Molly says:

Happy happy birthday!! Didn’t know Hawaii was on the horizon! How AWESOME! Hope you have a wonderful day!! Sounds like you will ;)

19. Carolyn says:

Happy Birthday!! I hope you havea wonderful day and year!

20. Jeanna says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    You sound like you’re doing pretty well for yourself – your weight loss journey and all the traveling during 31 is something to be super proud of! Try not to let any other “expectations” of 30 get you down. :)

21. jen says:

Happy Birthday! i am half way through 32 and entered with similar trepidation…but its good and i am better for all of it!

Happy Birthday, Jess! I hope this year brings you many wonderful times and experiences. I love how you’ve challenged and pushed yourself out of your comfort zone this year. Its very inspiring! Also I really, really love this sentence:

23. Jenn says:

Way to celebrate your day! Happy birthday lady!