13 September 2011

Being broken up with by my gym

Tagged: gym

I’m not very good at break ups. Boys, hair stylists, manicurists, I don’t like it. I like routine, I like stability. Also, I like having a place where I can work out 3-4 days a week and know that it will be open and available for me (because I pay for it.)

Well, that rug got pulled out from under me yesterday.

Why? My gym broke up with me. Well, actually, it’s more like my gym closed because the electric was shut off due to them not paying the bills for a few months (to the tune of $200k).

Yeah, I was dating a gym that had money issues. SO UNLIKE ME.

My friend told me about the news and sadly, due to my trust issues, I didn’t believe him, so I ran next door to see it myself and yep, gym was closed, “until further notice.”

Turns out, further notice is likely forever, so I’m back on the gym market and I have no idea what to do. I’ve been dating my gym for more than five years! We were, like committed.

And now I’m getting back out there, visiting other gyms, hearing what they have to say and trying to decide where I want to go. But in the meantime, I’m getting outside to walk and exercise, even if I’m not burning as many calories as I was before. And it’s been kind of nice, especially after sitting in an office all day.

I just hate auditioning gyms and now mixing up the routine I had before. I know, it’s dumb, but it’s just a change. And hopefully, by this weekend, I will have a new place to work out.

Yeah I’m totally looking at this like my own episode of the Bachelor. Another gym mini date is tomorrow!

Are you good with breaking up with gyms, stylists, etc.?

1. allison says:

same hairstylist for 10 years – it’s a good friend who is the best

I would have to start ‘dating’ a gym before we had the channce to break up :)

3. steph anne says:

That sucks! I hope you can find a new & better gym! I don’t do very well with changes so I can definitely relate to this.

4. M says:

Since you’re in Chicago I highly recommend LVAC/LPAC! I used to belong and even though it’s a bit more it was so worth it. I moved to Wicker Park last year and there isn’t one here otherwise I would still belong!

ugh that is just so annoying, hope you find a new and fabulous gym soon!

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you this, but be sure to read your contract carefully at whatever new gym you sign up with! When I moved to the ‘burbs and had to cancel my city gym membership, I found out that the only way I could cancel it was to move more than 20 miles away from the closest gym in the chain (which I did, luckily) OR become physically disabled. Really?! They made me send them two pieces of mail with my new address on it as proof. I had to do more work to cancel that membership than any other service I’ve ever canceled!

7. caryn says:

Sorry this one did work out. Gyms tend to run away from relationships too much! (haha sorry, couldn’t resist that pun!) Which gym did you belong to? Does your office have a gym in the building?

Gym shopping is the worst! Trying to find one that fits the schedule and routine you already had worked out with the previous gym is painful. I feel for you.

9. Jenn says:

I had a personal trainer break up with me because she got a “better” job offer at a “different” location. I’m convinced that she was jealous of my lunges. Anyway, that was years ago.

I don’t like shopping for gyms. None of them are ever close or convenient. My advice would be to keep an eye on some Groupon or LivingSocial deals. I bought one for a month free at a new gym – best way to test the waters without investing too much!

10. This happened to me and my friend in college. we belonged to a women’s gym and one morning went to the gym and it was closed…lost $. it sucked!!

11. I am with you. I hate change. I lucked into a fabulous young hairstylist that I clicked with right after college. I faithfully stayed with her for 8 years until I made the move back home and moved right to someone just as capable. I love stability. I crave routine. I would be so sad if my gym – right across the street from my house – were to cease operation. Its just so convenient for me. I wish you luck!

12. Marjolein says:

The salon I used to go to to get my hair done actually fired most of the people I was really happy with, and completely screwed up my hair colour two weeks ago, right before my wedding… I am never going there again and thankfully found another salon where the colour specialist knew how to fix my hair.

13. Lame about your gym. I hate gym shopping!

I have never had to break up with a hairstylist BUT I after living down here for three years I still haven’t FOUND a new hairstylist! I’ve tried so many different ones and still haven’t found the right one. She/he has got to be out there somewhere!

14. Kez says:

I hate when I have to break up with a hairstylist. It’s devastating – I have trust issues!!!
    Right now I do like my salon and my stylist but I fear that when I want to get all crazy with my hair again (post pregnancy) she may not be adventurous enough for me. Will cross that bridge when I get to it :(