25 September 2011

Weekend recap: Fall shopping mission

Tagged: Fashion, shopping

Happy Sunday everyone! Well, the lowdown of this post is that I need fall clothes. Badly.

And no I’m not saying that as I have a full closet full of fall clothes that are sitting there with the tags on. My tendency to keep and wear things until they, well wear out, is coming full circle again and I literally don’t have much to wear.

Especially things that fit.

So Saturday, I put my iPod on, went dead inside and went shopping in downtown Chicago. I worked Michigan Avenue like it was a pole, getting in/out of stores and in/out of clothes as quickly as possible.

As always, I was prepared, wearing no jewelry and very thin tops so I could try on things over my clothes whenever possible. I hate waiting for dressing rooms.

If you know Chicago, this will make sense, and if not, well hopefully you’ll still see how productive I was. I went from H&M (north end of Michigan Avenue) to Banana Republic, Express, Forever 21, Nordstrom, Ann Taylor Loft and Gap (ending at the south end). I only took a 15 minute rest at Nordstrom to enjoy coffee too (and rest my arms).

And (un)fortunately, the shopping venture was pretty successful too.

Deals of the day:

• $24 fedora at Gap (so fabulous) for $8
  • $138 dress at Banana Republic for $45

In the end, I came away with several pieces I’m anxious to try on again and hopefully keep. And I have more that I will need to add, but this will definitely help.

The one thing I did try on (and tweet/Facebook) that I didn’t get was this

I have a history of trying on sequin dresses but this time, is was a Banana Republic Monogram dress that made me look like sparkle Barbie or Elle Woods dipped in sequins. It was itchy, loud and PINK. But part of me loved it. But at $200 and so much more to buy. I couldn’t justify it. Also, I don’t even know WHERE I would wear something like this.

How was your weekend?

1. Elizabeth says:

I kind of love the sequins! I can’t think of anywhere to wear one because I’m not exactly living a life of glamor, but it looks fun!

2. TC says:

You already know my opinion about the sparkly dress, but I have a place where you can wear it now!!! The same place I’m going with my blue sequined shorts…wherever and whenever that might be ;) Now you have no choice

3. “I worked Michigan Avenue like it was a pole”

I’m going to use that in a sentence this week, substituting for Michigan Avenue as needed.

4. Haha, I confess that I kind of want to go to BR and try that dress on now–I luuuurve sequin dresses ;) I’m glad you found such amazing deals and I hope you find that you still love them on the second round of try-ons!

5. That dress is stellar. But itchy? No amount of fab can justify itchy for me! :)

6. you could definitely rock that sequin dress with some black, opaque tights & black pumps with a black, belted cardigan (to subdue some of the flashiness of the sequins) to a holiday party.

7. I did the same thing you did this weekend. Shopped ’til I dropped, but all on house stuff!!

yay for new fall clothes! and seriously that dress needs to not be $200 because you looks FABULOUS in it.

9. Marjolein says:

My tendency to buy things that look fabulous but a little on the outrageous side (which I then can’t wear to work) has now turned into me not shooping for clothes much any more. Wouldn’t be able to fit anything in my closet so I guess that’s a good thing.

You do look good in that dress though (but I can understand other clothes have priority).

10. NoodlesinChi says:

Holy crapola, dude. You were on a tactical strike. Also, I’m so proud of you for handling Michigan Ave without murdering anyone. (That place is my hell.)

11. Arielle says:

I have a silver sequin dress ($10 at a sample sale!) that I have never worn and have no idea when I WILL wear it. But whatever. I love it anyway. Also – maybe you can teach me how to wear a fedora because I own one and have also never worn it and I’m waiting for someone to dress me. Ha.

12. suki says:

You could so wear that to a holiday party! :) Or even New Year’s, but it’s a little early for that now. Maybe wait till it’s on sale!