10 October 2011

A memorable weekend at home

Tagged: family, Wisconsin

Happy Monday everyone! If you’ve read this blog for a while, you know that I don’t talk about family much at all anymore, but this time I had to share.

This weekend, I was back in Wisconsin for a big family event.

My grandpa was taking part in the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight, the Wisconsin branch of the national Honor Flight Network, which honors World War II veterans.

As part of the flight, my grandpa and hundreds of other vets from Wisconsin flew to Washington, DC for the day and visited several of the monuments. And, due to my grandpa’s age and health, my brother went as his guardian.

No kidding, those guys had a 21+ hour day Saturday, leaving Milwaukee at 4 a.m. and returning home at 9:25 p.m. for a parade through the airport for families and friends to attend. The parade is a surprise for the vets.

So Saturday night, my mom, grandma, SIL and her parents crowded at the airport (elbows out!!) and waited for the guys to return. Yes, the wait was long, my legs cramped and I may or may not have SHUSHED a child (who was annoying) but when it came time to watch my brother and grandpa walk down the parade route to us, I was a total mess.

And I caught it on video. It’s a little Blair Witch with a Cloverfield moment thrown in.

I literally start to cry every time I watch because the emotion, joy and crowd made it so special.

It was a great night and I am so glad that I got to be there. And a big thanks to my mom and brother for coordinating the application, I won’t ever forget the look of pure joy on my grandpa’s face.

How was your weekend?

1. That is for real the cutest thing. I love grandfathers. You can tell yours felt really, really special.

2. Marjolein says:

This is fantastic! It’s great that these veterans are honoured (and necessary!). Thanks to them my country got freed from the Nazi’s! You should thank your grandfather for me! :)

OMG, the tears!

aw this is making me all teary. love it.

5. Awww, love your grandpa!!

6. That’s awesome! Your grandpa looks so happy!

7. April says:

Aww that made me tear up seeing how happy he looked! I’m glad your family got to experience that!

My hometown raised money for an honor flight, too. I love this idea. And your grandpa looks so happy. Glad he got to go.

9. Barbetti says:

This is the sweetest thing ever!!

10. The first leg of our flight to Chicago last weekend was an honor flight! We had 36 WWII vets and guardians on board. The USO organized a mail call for the men during the flight! Each vet got a bag full of mail addressed to them. It was really touching.

Awwww, that is so amazing, Jess. I am so glad that you were able to go and be a part of that. How special it must have been for your grandpap.

12. that just made me tear up. the parade back at the home airport is such a great idea.

one of my favorite things about working the conferences in dc was when we were at the memorials and seeing the honor flights there. A few times I chatted with the men and it was great to hear their stories instead of just thinking about these men and the amazing stories they have from the wars. please get your grandfather’s story! and I love what this organization does because these (and all) vets should be celebrated.

13. allison says:

oh my gosh, he is so f’ing cute and excited to see you guys.

14. holy tears, that is so precious!