28 November 2011

Thanksgiving in one word

Tagged: Random

Exhausting.

After this weekend, I have a whole new appreciation for preparing Thanksgiving dinner because it is no joke. For me, it was a bundle of nerves, anxiety and doubt, but in the end, it was a big accomplishment and sense of pride.

That’s right, my SIL and I both prepared our first-ever Thanksgiving meal. And I only have one cut and two burns to show for it (each hurt).

So let’s do a little recap with link love of what we made:

And everything turned out DELICIOUS. Being a perfectionist, I would make adjustments to the green bean casserole and soup recipes next year, but everyone assured me they were delicious as-is, so I can quiet my concerns.

The hardest part was the prep and rotating items in the oven, plus reheating the next day. This, plus exhaustion, lead to my battle wounds too. An oven rack burn on your arm at 325 degrees? OUCH.

The best part? Cooking everything with my SIL, working together with my brother to get the house ready, appetizers out and entertain our guests. The good china came out and everything! I have to say, we were a great team and I don’t think it would have been possible without them.

It looks like we’ll be doing this again next year too and I’m already buzzing with ideas of what to change and make.

Now, I’m ready for a nap and days of leftovers :) So let’s look at some pictures!

GD that is one sexy turkey

View of the table (including our beverage, Miller Lite)

My Thanksgiving feast

How was your holiday weekend?

Great job! Glad everything turned out so well!

2. SIL says:

Those pics do make it look amazing! It did taste that good, too:) I still LOVE the pic of the fine china, beautiful dishes, and pint cans of Miller Lite. Definitely a Thanksgiving in WI!

It was a fantastic experience and I’m looking forward to next year (though I’m glad we have 11 months before we have to start preparing). Note – I like the suggestion of asiago cheese on the soup :)

3. Sounds super yummy! Congrats on pulling it off :)

4. Yummy! It looks delish! Congrats on a great first Thanksgiving cooking event! Hope your burns are doing better – those hurt!

5. that turkey is STUNNING. like, I’m tempted to lick my screen. congrats on your first (of many, I’m sure) successful thanksgiving dinner!

6. bravo on cooking your first thanksgiving! i hear ya about the exhausting… eating and being w/ family is exhausting lol. i went to THREE thanksgivings! on the 3rd, i legit had 1 bite of turkey lol

7. daaaaaaaaaaaaamn are you sure that turkey isn’t from a magazine shoot – it looks amazing!

8. Great job!!! Everything looked delicious!

yay! that is awesome. that meal looks delectable, nicely done.

You did awesome girl!!
    Looks like a delish spread you had.

11. Way to go!!! I am sure that was a lot of work but all the food looks AMAZING!

12. we celebrated Tgiving at my parents downtown Chicago condo this year—we weren’t sure how it would work but we managed to all fit and there was plenty of room. so fun!

so glad your feast was a success!

Yum! Way to go, all those dishes is quite a lot of coordination!

One tip for the squash soup for next year: shredded asiago cheese to sprinkle on top. Trust.

Congrats on a successful feast!

My Thanksgiving was really low-key. Actually, the whole weekend was pretty low-key. Hard coming back to work after a weekend like that!