29 November 2011

Moving to morning workouts

Tagged: gym

There are two types of workout people: morning and evenings. And until recently, I thought the morning people were crazy. Get up early…voluntarily? To…work out? NO WAY.

I prefer to work out at night. I used that time to work off the days stress, clear my head and just relax. But working out at night takes a big commitment too. Home is very alluring when it’s cold outside, you work late, plans come up and suddenly it’s a week since you’ve been the gym. I found myself in that situation all too often and I started to fall behind.

And now that the holidays are coming up and things are busier, I just cannot go after work.

So, two weeks ago, I reset the alarm for 5:30 a.m. (OMG SO UNHOLY OF AN HOUR) and headed to the gym to work out before work.

The first day, it went really well. I was up, out of bed and out the door with a little spring in my step. Day two, yeah the reality set in. I was fussy and really wanted to go back to bed.  But I still made myself go. And turns out, working out in the morning isn’t so bad after all. I mean, it’s not puppies and rainbows, but it’s not awful.

To be honest, I’m not even really awake until that elliptical-induced endorphin kick sets in. Before then, I’m pretty much a zombie. But after? I’m all “good morning!!” and feeling good.

I’m going to try and keep doing morning workouts for now and see how it goes. Let’s just say, some days are better than others. But it’s better than not going at all.

Plus, it’s so dead there, I love the peace and quiet. But, the main downside is that I’m up at 5:30 a.m. and (for now) wanting to go to bed at 8 p.m. Still working on that adjustment, nothing’s perfect.

Are you a morning or evening workout person?

1. allison says:

evening! hands down, every time. 5:30 is crazy talk!

2. Mega says:

I prefer the morning. By the time I get off work I have no desire to do anything that is productive.

3. I tried doing mornings for a stretch but I just am not a morning person. I find I can push myself more if I work out after lunch (one of the few bonuses for working by myself and from home — I can take an hour to go workout and just work a little later).

4. That’s great that you’re getting yourself to go in the mornings! I am SO not an early morning girl. When I was in college, I had to do morning PT for ROTC, and inevitably I would sleep through all of my classes through the rest of the day! I am just not even remotely energized by exercise, lol!

5. Akirah says:

When my internship is over, I want to work out more…hopefully in the AM. It sucks waking up so early, but it always gets me feeling hype for the day. I guess we’ll see.

6. I would love to have a gym that I could regularly go to in the evening or morning but living in the suburbs in a slightly borderline boony area, it makes it hard just getting to one. So, my usual work out involves walking/jogging around my neighborhood after work or on the weekends.

I’ve tried post work and I just get hungry and whiny. So I’m trying to make myself get up again and work out in the mornings or I just won’t do it at all.

8. Caz says:

I’m a morning gym-goer. Evern though I still HATE it, I always come up with excuses or social plans in the evenings and won’t go. So 5:30 wake-up call it is. UGH.

I do however like the insane hyper productivity in the am after a hard workout.

9. Elizabeth says:

I’m becoming a morning, but only because I’ll be taking night classes in the spring. I just head out for a run with Hannah in her stroller, so it’s pretty easy to do whenever, and mornings are a lot less hot around here!

10. Oh…………….I am your in-betweener. I workout over lunch. Because I work from home and the gym is literally across the street from my house I have this flexibility. However, the over the lunch hour workout is my second choice. I much prefer the morning workout. Its great to get it over and done with and not have it looming over your head all day. I hated evening workouts for all the reasons you cited before; things would come up, the weather tanks, stressful day at work and all you want to do is curl up on the couch. Alas, the lunch hour works for me because unless I have a buddy to meet me in the morning I have no willpower to get up any earlier than I have to.

11. Carolyn says:

I’m a evening workout girl. I just perform better at night. I do terribly when I work out in the morning. Once you get inot a habit you’ll be fine working out in the mornings. It takes like 3 weeks or something for it to become a habit. Good Luck!

Definitely an evening person, here. I once asked my friends if they thought I could take a 5:45 AM strength class and they all laughed at me. I can get up for races but that’s not a regular thing. Not sure I could get up at 5:00 to workout every day or even every other day. Kudos to you for doing it!

The past couple years, I’ve somehow been able to spend a few weeks as a morning work outer. The gym is literally across the street from my place so it’s easy in theory. I really love those weeks. I end up getting to work earlier and just being friendlier in general. And the best part is I can come straight home and curl up on the couch.

But inevitably I sleep in one day and the entire routine is out the door.

14. Grace says:

I just started doing morning workouts too! Today my alarm woke me up from an awesome dream. It’s tough but I have a much harder time doing it at night. I feel more energized once I am done too. I hope the adjustment goes well for us both!

15. i so WISH i was a morning person but i just cannot do it- im such a night owl and cannot function before 7-730 am LOL. i used to work out in college in the morning which i thought was the the ungodly hour of 830am…if only i knew, lol!

16. Heather M. says:

I’m a night person as well–as soon as I get home from work. I’m lucky to live in a building with a fitness center, though. That definitely helps.

I couldn’t work out in the AM even if I wanted to. The deadly DC commute already sucks the life out of my morning. Traffic fail.

17. Molly says:

I’m totally a night worker outer! I wish I was a morning person, but I’m just naturally not one. I might be able to work out in the a.m. if I wasn’t already leaving my apt. for work at 6:45am. I can’t imagine being at the gym at 4:45! hahaha.