20 December 2011

Learning to love certain foods

Tagged: Food

When I was a kid, I was very particular about foods I didn’t like to eat. I guess that means I was a picky eater, but I prefer the phrase “having preferential taste buds.”

Yep, just PR’ed that.

Anyhow, as I’ve gotten older and started cooking and dining out more, I’ve found that several things I would never eat as a kid are now things I really enjoy. Maybe my taste buds got a little more mature but now that I’m a more adventurous eater, I’m more open to trying new things.

Here are some of the things I would never be caught dead eating as a kid:

• Beets
  • Onions
  • Corn (actually, I still don’t like corn on the cob)
  • Fish or sushi (minus shrimp)
  • Any sort of squash
  • Blueberries
  • Almonds or nuts (still dislike them in brownies)
  • Beans

Yeah, after reading that list again I’ll clarify, it’s not that I ate crap all of the time, I was just really specific about what I would eat and never vary from it.

So you can imagine that I never the kid-me would die at the thought of pork belly, bone marrow, etc. and the same kid-me would dry heave dramatically in response. Fortunately, it’s no longer the case.

But the two foods I still very strongly dislike: black licorice and lamb. Okay, I don’t loathe lamb but I’m not a huge fan.

What were your least favorite foods that you grew out of hating?

1. beets, sushi, and brussel sprouts…nove i love all three! (well not some sushi too haha)

i used to despise onions & tomatoes and now i can’t get enough of either of them. i’m also more prone to trying things since i had an affinity to not even eat something if it looked funny, haha.

3. I use to HATE tomatoes, & now I’m a pretty big fan. Same goes for onions & peppers & avocado. I also wouldn’t eat any meat that wasn’t plain old chicken, & now I prefer most other meats to plain old chicken! I’ve also grown to like Asian food of all varieties, including Thai, Japanese, Korean & Chinese, & I don’t hate condiments the way I used to. At least when it comes to Asian food! AND I eat shrimp, lobster & crab, though the latter two only if someone else has removed them from their shells.

Things I still don’t like: hamburgers, ketchup, olives, plums, ranch dressing. I can’t believe someone commented that she doesn’t like cheese. That’s the one thing I love in ALL its many forms!

4. Elizabeth says:

I was pretty darn picky, and I still am. I won’t eat anything from a can, because it’s too soggy, but I now claim that it’s to avoid all the BPA chemically mess!

5. I used to hate blueberries too! now I love them – on my oatmeal, in smoothies, as a snack. also, sushi used to scare me throughout high school but when I hit college, it ignited my love for sushi.

6. Marjolein says:

.. there are different colours of licorice? (and is that the same type they sell here.. well I’ll just have to go and investigate because I love licorice).

What I absolutely detest is cheese. And I’m Dutch. Yes, you’re allowed to laugh. And I still don’t eat it too.

7. As a child I didn’t eat anything that wasn’t steak and potatoes, mac & cheese (Kraft only, no shapes), JIF pb, Smuckers Jelly and certain types of cereal. Oh and I only drank A&E milk.

Oh wait…all those things are still valid.

But I have diversified my palate. Just not tons. But now, I can handle onions, red and green peppers. Love sausage and brats.

For me…this is big.

I loved black olives until high school and now I can’t stand them. I apparently liked sweet potatoes as a baby, hated them all through school, and now love them again. I’ve grown to like broccoli and green beans and a lot of other vegetables as well. I used to only eat wax beans out of a can! Now I’ll eat most any vegetable, especially if you roast it first.

I’m still not a fan of blueberries but I’ll eat them if they are the only fruit available. But lamb? Love it.

9. hopefully you’ll grow to love lamb..mmm!!

i used to hate olives, pickles, and guacamole. now i love them ALL! :)

10. Jenn says:

I was such a picky eater! I hated onions, green peppers, meatloaf, broccoli (unless there was ketchup), pie (still kind of do), and so on.

I now love green peppers, but I prefer raw onions in salads or cut finely in cooked meals. Grilled onions are something I’m still warming up to.

11. Stevie says:

I was a somewhat picky eater when I was growing up (although I ate curry like it was going out of style and loved sushi). My taste buds changed drastically when I went through puberty – which is pretty common.

Our tastebuds actually change every few years, so every now and then I make an attempt to try food I didn’t used to like. I used to hate ketchup, mustard, and horseradish. Now I can’t get enough. I didn’t like bleu cheese, gorgonzola, or brie and now I could pretty much live on ONLY those things.

Oddly enough, we ate lamb quite a bit growing up and I loved it. Now I don’t like it nearly as much. I can eat small amounts of it, but it’s just too rich for me.

I still hate mayonnaise, though.

12. I remember my brother and I hating Chinese food. I laughed reading this post as it made me think of one particular time when we were young, my parents took us to the local Chinese buffet place. We hated it and ate whatever “American” food choice they had there. Thinking back to it, I’m sure my parents hated having kids who didn’t like Chinese food and dragged us along to fix their insane craving. Heck, I’d deal with whiny kids to get my Chinese fix sometimes ;) haha.

I can’t believe you don’t like corn or onions! Those are some of my favorite foods! I don’t like almonds either though. And all these people who rave about almond butter? Nuts I tell you! (pun intended lol)

13. April says:

I’ve found that there are foods I hated as a kid- like green beans- that I love now, and I think the problem was the way my mom made them. As a kid, green beans were this disgusting shade of green, soggy, and from a can. Now, green beans are fresh, crisp, and usually sauteed in garlic butter. Yes ma’am, that’s more like it!

I still won’t eat mushrooms or olives, but not for lack of trying them as an adult. They’ll just always be gross to me, but I am a-ok with that. Can’t like everything, right?