12 January 2012

Pet peeves: Winter edition

Tagged: Random

As much as I love Chicago, there are things here that irritate me, especially when weather comes in to play. Let’s just say, when it rains, your morning commute can become a nightmare.

But, that’s life in the big city where you rely on public transportation and tourists are a way of life.

So in the celebration of this season, here is my recent list of pet peeves (winter edition):

• Long hair - Yes, this is my choice, but it gets stuck in everything! Scarves, zippers, coats, etc. It is driving me bananas
  • Sweating - The buses have turned on the heat and when you’re smushed in the bus with the heat blasting and a heavy coat on, it is like sitting in a hotbox. Awful
  • Static electricity - For some reason, I shock everyone. Might be shuffling my feet or the dryness of my apartment but everything and everyone I touch, I shock them. Embarrassing
  • Dry skin - The wind here chaps my skin and dries it out like the desert. I’m constantly applying lotion and lip balm. Thank goodness for Kiehl’s Whipped Creme de Corps, feels like butter on my skin

It’s funny because prior to today, this Chicago winter has been very mild. Now, it’s snowing, with inches already on the ground and snow and temps are getting back semi-seasonal 30 degree highs temps.

I may have to amend this post with “pet peeves: snow edition” shortly. Because once snow falls, people get way dumber about how to get around in the city. No kidding.

What’s bothering you about this winter season?

I would have to say driving in snow, especially when you’re in front of someone who wants to go fast. They can suck it. Also, when I lived in the city I would sometimes forget to exit the front door of the bus instead of the back door when there was a lot of snow, thus ending up ankle deep in the stuff.

2. The dry skin drives me crazy! And the static on my hair!

I was so looking forward to my Charleston winter, but I’ve been in NJ for almost 2 months due to being broken! At least it hasn’t snowed!

3. allison says:

dry skin drives me CRAAAAAAZZZZY too

4. static and dry skin- yes and yes! my other one is salt stains on boots/jeans…though we haven’t had any snow, so no issue yet in Boston!

5. living in north carolina, I’ve grown used to not having to wear a jacket/coat too much. now, that the temps are getting more winter-like, it requires a coat, scarf, and gloves and I’m just not a fan.

seriously the dry skin and chapped lips drives me batty! it’s so annoying and never stops, not even in LA! ah!

7. Kelsie says:

I recently moved to from Boston to Texas, so I haven’t had to deal with a real winter this year. But, what I did shake my fist at constantly were snow banks and those tiny little icy paths going through them. Inevitably, I’d slip and fall in. Or stepping in what you think is a small snow pile and realizing that it’s actually 6 inches deeper and then trying to wriggle your way out.

8. Jenn says:

I really really really hate foggy glasses. The snow hits them and they get wet. The minute I walk into a bookstore or stairwell they fog up and make it impossible to see anything.

I hate having to bundle up, having hat hair, and having incredibly dry hands. My cuticles are a mess anyway and the cold, dry weather doesn’t help one bit.

10. I agree with Modern Gal; my biggest pet peeve is with the lack of winter we are getting here in the midwest. I live in Iowa and we haven’t even had enough snow to register. Bizarre! If you can’t go boating/patio drink I want snow!

I also hate the dryness. I am ridiculously dry normally and winter just makes it worse.

This dry hands and chapped lips is for the birds. I can’t stand it.

12. I’ve actually been bothered by how mild our winter has been. Send some snow and cold this way! (I get too much Southern summer not to have a cold winter :)

13. Jen says:

Literally everything. I spent the past two and a half weeks in Australia, so I’ve been spoiled by beachgoing everyday … but I digress. I hate the snow! (I’m in Michigan.)