16 January 2012

Golden Globes fashion recap!

Tagged: Fashion

Yes! It’s awards season! And I’m back to share my best/worst dressed picks for the Golden Globes, which is like a playoff game for the Oscars.

Overall, there were a lot of great looks last night (I had a hard time narrowing them down!) but in many cases, an overuse of fabric (cough, Sarah Michelle Gellar).

So let’s take a look.

Favorite Looks

Julianne Moore – Simple, age-appropriate and nicely styled

Frieda Pinto – Dress was better on TV but the color and her necklace were divine

Michelle Williams – A little matronly but love the detail and headband

Shailene Woodley – Bad posture but the dress was really delicate and feminine. Gorgeous.

Charlize Theron – Wasn’t a huge fan at first but the way she accessorized it won me over

Claire Danes – The webbed detail on the back was fab and it matched perfectly with the red lip

Needs Improvement (aka the “see me” note you dread from the teacher)

Lea Michele – It’s like a bad Cher/Bob Mackie revival. No thank you

Jessica Biel – Based on this, I’m now worried about what she’ll wear to her wedding.

Kelly Osborne – Dowdy dress + gray hair = not flattering

Rooney Mara – She is so gorgeous but this dress isn’t the good kind of edgy

Natalie Portman -The random “sail” hanging off her hip is not flattering

Piper Perabo – This isn’t a bad picture but the pale color plus full skirt just did not work. At all

For the men, I can never go wrong with a man in a tux. And of course, George, Jake and even orange Rob Lowe looked so handsome. I’ll even give Matt LeBlanc a nod for wearing a midnight blue suit. Very dashing.

And way for photobombing to become very mainstream. Let’s just say, I’d love to sit at the Modern Family or Fey/Poehler table any day. Those look like fun tables to spend an evening at (with champagne).

Did you watch last night? What looks did you love?

1. allison says:

I loved the dress just not on Lia. Someone like Charlize or Halle Berry.

2. Peter says:

Lea Michele’s looks like some not-very-useful armor.

I always look forward to your fashion recaps. I thought Jessica Biel’s dress was a train wreck and really, Kelly O, why rock the gray hair before you have to. Not a fan. I really like Evan Rachel Wood’s dress.

4. i agree w/ all of these! im actually watching e fashion police right now that i taped from last night…hilarious.

i totally agree with you on all the “see me” dresses, i couldn’t figure out what was going on with natalie’s weird bump or jessica’s extra front fabric, so awkwrad. and piper and SMG seriously had a fabric off, who could get poofier!? so nutty.

i LOVED paula patton’s yellow number, so perfect for her. and shailene’s dress was so lovely. and i sort of loved kate winslet’s too, then again i’m always biased with her, always heart her no matter what.

I always look forward to your recaps. And OMG, Jessica Biel’s dress was hideous.

I’d also add Tina Fey’s dress to the list. And I sort of also liked Angelina Jolie’s. I really didn’t want to though!

7. i LOVE when you do these recaps, esp since i usually miss the red carpet coverage!! :)

8. I loooved sofia vergara’s look. the woman is stunning. I also thought reese witherspoon was smokin’ hot.

lea michele’s dress was made for someone who is taller – it was too much look for her and I totally agree on the cher/bob mackie comment.

jessica biel – totally disappointing and confused as to how she could’ve thought she looked good.

9. Stevie says:

Charlize’s gown was really unique, and totally worked on her. I don’t think anyone else could’ve pulled it off.

Shailene Woodley was wonderful in The Descendants. She used to be a teen model. She has gorgeous skin. So I was not a fan of what she wore. She looked beautiful, but could’ve looked SO MUCH BETTER.

Absolutely hated Piper’s gown (if you can even call it that). She is a gorgeous woman and this dress did nothing for her.

Loved the color of Freida Pinto’s gown, but not the style. The texture was also really cool, but kinda made her look pregnant. She has such a lovely figure, and this completely covered that up.

Overall, I was slightly underwhelmed by the fashion this year. Curious to see what happens at the Oscars!

10. Grace says:

Sadly, I am not a big fan of any of the dresses this time. Some actresses are just stunning so it almost doesn’t matter what they wear but it’s still nice to see great fashion. Maybe the designers will come through at the Oscar’s.

11. Nic says:

Dude. I took one look at J. Biel and thought…Miss Havisham. Amirite or amirite?!

Pip pip!

12. karen says:

I hate to admit this because I really don’t like her, but my favorite dress was Jessica Alba’s. I also really liked Evan Rachel Wood’s scale/feather dress, and Mary J Blige looked awesome.

The worst was by far Sarah Michelle Gellar, that blue tye-dye mess was awful, she almost make Piper Perabo’s see through mess look good. I also think Julianna Margulies should be on the no list, loved the color hated the dress.

I too hated Lea Michelle’s dress, but loved the top half of Dianna Agron’s (the bottom was too overworked and would have been much better in a straight fabric with no cutouts.)