16 February 2012

The next frontier: Getting a cleaning woman

Tagged: apartment

I am not a very neat or clean person. I like when my house is picked up and freshly cleaned but I will say that my deep clean skills are severely lacking. Sure, I scrub the tub and sink but the floors, vents and blinds? I’m lucky if I get to that once a season. If at all.

It’s sad.

So, to celebrate my promotion at work, I decided to move to the next frontier of city living: getting a cleaning lady.

I can’t have in-unit washer and dryer (yet) so this is the next best thing. And I’m so excited!

After hearing two coworkers gush about their shared cleaning lady, I nervously asked for her number, promptly waited two weeks to call and then did. Yep, I treated getting a cleaning lady like a date.

Saturday, she came over for a “meet and greet inspection” and I was SO nervous. Watching her scan over my apartment, I felt the need to clarify, “It doesn’t normally look like this,” or ” I plan to fix [insert item here] before you come back.”

The last time I was this nervous about someone seeing my apartment, it was because a boy was coming over. Seriously.

I’m more nervous for a cleaning lady to see my home than to have a guy come over to watch a movie. What?

She will only come once a month to deep clean but before she can clean, I did some “picking up” myself.

Yes, I spot cleaned/picked up before the cleaning lady comes. There is no logic to that.

But I’m actually giddy at the thought of my baseboards, vents, fans and any other nook and cranny getting cleaned.It’s the little things that make me happy.

She comes over tomorrow morning and I’m ready for her to change my life :)

Any big weekend plans for you guys?

1. we SOOO need one at my apt but it’s a big townhouse type place and I think it’s gong to be quite $$ ;/

2. allison says:

Here’s the thing – I want one too but I feel that hiring someone for 800 sq feet is just ridiculous.

3. soooo nice! i love to be neat and clean but the deep cleaning just isn’t my thing! enjoy your lovely clean apartment!

4. I am gonna need this ladies info… my place is such a disaster. Always.

5. You’re so funny, picking up for the cleaning woman. I would so do the same thing. Hell, I was trying to clean up before the dog arrived. I totally feel you, girl.

6. ahh jealous, i can’t wait to hear how it goes! my husband is actually the master deep cleaner (i am neat and clean but not GOOD at the deep cleaning ha) but he doesn’t enjoy doing it very often. maybe one day we can treat ourselves to a cleaning lady :)

Ahhhh, I would love to have someone come do all that stuff for me. But also do things like scrub the bathrooms and vacuum. I hate cleaning so much.

8. I can hardly ever find the time to deep clean, but it really needs to be done so no judgment here. I’ve been thinking about getting a cleaning service to do a deep cleaning once a month or so like you.

9. Molly says:

That’s awesome! It changes everything! (I don’t have one now, but when my sister and I lived together we’d have someone come every now and then, and it was awesome) :)

10. PomJob says:

Congrats on the promotion and hiring a cleaning lady. My great-grandmother had a cleaning lady when I was little. I always thought you were supposed to scrub the kitchen floor on your hands and knees before the cleaning lady came, because that’s what she did. Turns out, you’re not!

Congrats on the promotion and woo hoo for a cleaning lady…I would love to get one of those to deep clean my house but luckily my mom is OCD about cleaning so she’s always willing to come over and help :)

12. You will be SO HAPPY you got a cleaning lady. It is the best feeling to walk into a spotless home. I used to feel guilty about it, but now I know it’s worth the peace of mind!

13. Amber says:

YAY! Good for you! I swear as soon as we have a little more money (i.e. when Eric’s not a full-time student anymore) we are getting a cleaning lady. I hate cleaning and just really don’t have the time!

14. Julia Steele says:

Wait. Doesn’t everyone clean for the cleaning lady?

15. Stevie says:

First of all, congrats on the promotion!

Second, I AM SO JEALOUS. Someday, when I’m not a full time student and actually contribute financially to our household, I would love to have one. It would just be so nice not to have to worry about that stuff, you know? So excited for you!

16. I’M SO RIGHT THERE WITH YOU!!!! we are like cleaning lady buddies. I’m about to start “interviewing” cleaning ladies, I’m beyond nervous.

The cleaning lady was my “gift” to myself with my new position too – I’m proud of us :)

Treat yo self.