01 March 2012

Why being single is awesome (because it is)

Single Girl Confidential is back! Yes, we took a little hiatus but now we’re back with another post in this series. Arielle and I wanted to tell everyone why we love being single because, being single is awesome. You can check out her post here.

Some people do not understand being single. In fact, when I say that I like being single, I usually get a look that says, “oh honey I know you’re just saying that but good for you.”

Yes, having a crush or manfriend is fun. I miss having one in my life. But right now, I’m happy being single.

Why? Well, let’s review the list:

• Two words: Naked time (and sleeping alone). I kind of suck at cuddling
  • I do whatever I want whenever I want I don’t have to check with anyone
  • TV is my domain, and I don’t have to worry about hogging the DVR with football or Dance Moms marathons
  • Four words: Random bar make outs. I need more of these…stat

But in all seriousness, I think being single is awesome because you get time to yourself to try new things, be adventurous, challenge yourself and be comfortable on your own. You are independent, confident and aware of what you want and need. Being single gives me the chance to hang out, celebrate and grow closer to my friends and others close to me. That’s what I’ve been doing and I love it.

Oh, and most importantly, being single doesn’t make you or me a leper. It’s not a disease.

Being with someone I liked and who liked me back was great. But now, as I keep getting back to “me,” I’m glad that I’m comfortable being single and independent because the next guy I meet will meet a great version of me.

I cannot wait to get back to her.

What do you love about being single?

1. Caryn says:

I think being single is a great way to learn about yourself. Dating is good for that but I think you learn more about yourself when you’re on your own

2. Marjolein says:

I loved living on my own and making all decisions about my place on my own. My husband and I don’t have the same taste at all and sometimes it makes me want to have my own apartment again…

3. As someone who has been single the longest & most frequently out of all of my friends, I appreciate this post. I love “me time” and not having to make any excuses to do so.

However, I am in the mindset of wanting to be in a relationship but I’m not making any moves to make that happen. me & flirting just don’t mix.

4. great post! #2& 3 are so true! #4 can be fun or you can remember the next morning you had major beer goggles on LOL

5. allison says:

I love everything about this post and it makes me smile. As someone who has been single for seven months after a long ass relationship, I love every second of it. Going out with friends, not caring that I don’t have a date with my coupled friends, meeting guys, flirting and coming home to a nice apartment and being comfortable sleeping alone.

6. steph anne says:

I honestly don’t remember what it’s like being single. I started dating my husband when I was 16 but I have no doubts that being single is awesome. :)

I’m not single anymore but I sure enjoyed all of them when I was :)

8. Lauren says:

I’m happy being a couple presently (and maybe forever), but I know that I would enjoy being single as well. Really, all of those things you listed are the perks of a long-distance relationship. I’ve been riding that train for the past 3 years and I know it’ll be a tough adjustment when I’m back to sharing space, TV, bed, EVERYTHING.

Fortunately, I think you can mostly live as the couples do while single if that’s your thing (guy friends, roommates, being prude, ha) and live mostly as the singles do while coupled. I will always miss random, bar make outs though. Jealous.

9. Paula says:

I like not having to fit my life around another person. I’m quite a social person but I also need a lot of “me” time, so it’s hard to fit a guy into my life too. I don’t mind being single, but I miss my ex so much at the same time. :-(

10. I loved, loved, loved living alone. In fact, I don’t have a problem having a completely different schedule as my husband because it means I get alone time at home. I can sing at the top of my lungs and do ridiculous dances around the house (although the dogs look at me very judgmentally when I do). I can take all the time I need in the bathroom. I can sleep in without judgment. I can spend two hours trying on my own clothes to try out different outfit combinations. Being single definitely comes with a freedom that you sacrifice when you’re in a couple. The sacrifice can be good, but so is the freedom.

I’m not single but if I was I think I would like all of the things you mentioned! Being able to do what I want when I want? No cuddling? Watching Ghost Hunters without someone rolling his eyes? Yeah, sometimes that sounds pretty good!

12. Arielle says:

Obviously I agree with all of this. I think people who never took the time to really appreciate being single, who just get in the mindset of wanting to be in a new relationship as soon as they’re done with the last one, are really missing out. Missing out both on an opportunity for personal growth and missing out on fun stuff in general (esp the random makeouts!). =) Also, love the part about the leper! I AM NORMAL I PROMISE!! Hahaha.