08 March 2012

On the road again

Tagged: travel

After my Seattle/Vancouver trip in August, I took a travel break. I wanted to spend time in Chicago, see my friends and try dating. Two of these things happened with good results.

But after a seven month break and a few work-related trips, I’m hitting the road again, solo-travel style.

And rather than take a trip in the states to get my feet wet again, I’m heaving myself in the deep end by heading back overseas.

ORD>CDG

That’s right, Charles De Gaulle, aka Paris.

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous. My seven month personal travel break made feel safe and comfortable again, and I feel like I lost some of my adventurer nerve.

But as much as I love Chicago, I need a vacation…badly.

I need a break from life and work here. I need a change of scenery so I can clear my mind.

I love solo travel because of the freedom it allows, but it is also lonely at times.

To combat this, I took a friend’s advice and started journaling on my larger trips. I write in it as if I’m talking to a friend, telling them what I see, do and experience each day. I wrote in one for my Italy trip, starting from the day before I left. The journal holds my fears, joys, lists of what I saw and history I learned.

At times, the journal became a like a travel companion. It went with me everywhere and was updated multiple times a day.

And now that I’m hitting the road again, my new journal just arrived and I cannot wait to start writing in it.

So I’m off on the road again. But I’ll be back soon with updates from Paris and my super crazy decision to attend a work function in New York right after. But, um, it’s for Mad Men, so it was an easy decision :)

Any upcoming travels for you?

hope you have the most amazing time!!

2. Enjoy France! And your solo vacation time!

I would love to go back and explore the countryside! I only went to Paris 6 years ago when studying abroad.

I’m off to Chicago this weekend for work (so sad you won’t be there) and then in April Atlanta & Irvine for work and Denver to see a friend! Finally traveling again!

3. jaime says:

how very exciting! can’t wait to hear about your trip. i am planning a barcelona and florence trip for the fall- hope it all works out! :)

4. Andi says:

You are going to have a blast, Paris is my favorite city in the whole world and awesome for solo travelers!

5. allison says:

can’t wait to hear about your adventures!

6. Woohooo!!! Enjoy beautiful Paris! You’re going to die from all of the amazing food… le sigh.

7. I hope you have a wonderful time in Paris!!! I can’t wait to see the pictures!

8. B says:

Have a great and safe trip! Funny enough, my next trip is to Chicago in April!

9. Paula says:

At the moment, all I have planned is a week holiday on the island of Ibiza in August. I’m hoping to go away sooner but I’m not sure yet. I am very in awe that you can go travelling alone – I don’t think I could do it.

10. How awesome! I can’t wait to hear/see of your latest adventure!

11. Marjolein says:

Oooh France!! The only trip I’ve got planned so far is France too: we’re going to Lille in September. I’m amazingly lucky that France is only a few hours’ drive away. I love that country. Do you speak any French at all?

The journal idea is a wonderful one! Kudos to the friend who suggested that. And I bet it will help you think of a ton of blog posts to share with us when you get back :-)

That is amazing :) Awww I can’t wait to hear about your vacay, you’re going to have an amazing time.

14. one of my colleagues if heading to paris for a week on wednesday – how fun!!

have a blast my friend, be safe and kiss a Frenchman!