27 March 2012

Post vacation reality check

Tagged: travel

Truth: I sat, staring at this screen for about 15 minutes before I started typing.

I had no idea what to write about.

Then, rather than thinking of something grand, I thought I’d write about well, what is going on right now.

I’m in a post vacation reality check.

What is this? It’s the re-introduction of your vacation-self to real life-self.

This can be rough.

Usually, you go through five stages of emotions during this time:

• Confusion (Wait, this work thing happens every week?)
  • Anger (What do you MEAN I can’t have wine with lunch every day at the office?)
  • Shock (I have to pay bills? What?)
  • Acceptance (I am back. Time to start planning my next trip)
  • Jealousy (Timmy gets to have a day off? What an a**hole)

Last week, I immediately started at Acceptance, then moved to Jealousy and then Confusion. This week, I’m hanging out at Anger (seriously, why can’t I have wine every day as an afternoon snack) and Shock. I’ll probably bump back to Acceptance one more time to help get back to the normal me.

I’ve also taken to spending more time on Pinterest (avoiding the wedding boards) and “pinning” things I wish I could buy but can’t because I’m being “responsible.”

Here’s the other thing kids: trips are expensive and even with a budget, that first bill post-trip burns like an STD (not that I would know).

So for now, I’m anxiously awaiting a few things:

• April 1st (pay day!)
  • The final stop at Acceptance
  • The weekend
  • New pins on Pinterest (not about weddings)

Welcome to my reality. Let’s also hash tag this post #reasonswhyimsingle

How is everyone else?

I hate that feeling when you get back from a vacation. Oh easy life would be if I was rich and could just say screw it to work.

2. Marjolein says:

I’m trying to reconcile myself to the fact that we will not be going on holiday this year. Maybe we’ll go away for a weekend, somewhere in this (tiny) country, and that’s it. But it’s all because we’re buying a house, so that’s good. But we have to wait till June 15th to actually get the keys to the house, which is less good. I’m also not at acceptance yet!

It is always hard to get back into the swing of things post-vacation. Pinterest is a always a nice escape, isnt it?

4. Cheryl says:

You know, because April 1 is a Sunday, payday is actually March 30? Hope that brightens your day :)

5. For weeks after I return home from a vacation, I find myself in periodic dream states thinking “at this time last week I was…”. Sigh. I wish life was just one giant Grand Tour!

I love your 5 Stages of Post-Vacation Emotion. Why can’t I just get paid to drink wine and visit places?

i seriously could not agree with you more! i’m pretty sure i go through all of those phases post-vacation and it’s always the hardest. i mean why can’t we all just be millionaires and live lives of luxury? is it that much to ask? haha.

8. Jaime says:

so true…vaca withdrawal is the worst! the “back to reality” check is tough. Pinterest does help- LOL :)

9. Stevie says:

SO TRUE. Every word.

There are plenty of people out there who’ve made millions from their travel books. You need to start writing post-travel books.

10. love it!

the anger is the worst – especially the no wine with lunch on a daily basis and then the jealousy when people around you are going to fun places and why can’t i go too?

as always crazy in my life – headed back down to charleston tomorrow!