25 April 2012

This book is bananas

Tagged: Random

Curious about BDSM? Unsure how to ask a lady in your life if she’d like to be your submissive? Or are you looking for ways to use S&M terms in public when talking to friends?

I have the solution and book (series) for you.

TA-DA!

My review so far: WHOA.

I finally caved and read this, you know, after it was on the TODAY show, cover of Entertainment Weekly and I heard enough recommendations from friends, co-workers, Twitter and even my boss.

This weekend, I ran in to three people at the bar who were reading it.

And not too long after I started, I had to find someone to talk about it with because the sh*t in there was insane. Insane to an apparently prudish, sexually conservative Midwest girl who only learned about S&M and plushies and furries from cable TV.

That is what this book does, it makes you want to talk about it and you cannot help but tell others. I cannot stop talking to my friends about it. It’s that crazy to me.

So why else does it resonate with women? According to EW, two words: erotic imagination. This leaves little to it but definitely indulges it when the maybe the sex drive ebbs and flows, or you’re in a drought (cough).

That’s nothing to be embarrassed about. Let’s just say, your inner monologue gets a lot more creative. Wink.

Looks like I need to find me a new man in my life to…discuss it more.

I even downloaded a preview of the second book tonight. Guess that was inevitable.

And I’ve made the mental note that baby oil is great to soothe redness and pain brought on by spanking. It’s like a BDSM PSA. The more you know.

Are you guys reading this? What do you think?

1. allison says:

Ok, so I heard about this 2 months ago from a friend then it blew the hell up and it’s EVERYWHERE. I bought it at the airport and I’m at the part where they make out in the elevator.

hello to elevator make outs.

2. I’m skipping this one. I’m not gonna lie, I’m intrigued, but then I heard it was originally Twilight fanfic and that was enough for me. I already suffered through four of those, I’m not going to add BDSM Edward and Bella to my life. ;)

Just about to start it after hearing all the buzz….even my hubs heard about it

I think peer pressure might work and I might actually have to get on board with this, ha.

5. caryn says:

do you have the hard copy? i’ll borrow it from you.

6. Bing says:

I finally started reading the series too because it was all over the TV, radio and Internet. I can’t put it down! I’ve read books 1 and 2 and am about halfway through book 3. It’s a little corny, but at the same time totally addicting. The story is interesting and the kinky additions definitely don’t hurt. Makes you want to be a lot more adventurous.

You’re the second blog post in the past 15 minutes that I’ve read about this!

I just finished the book — on my honeymoon, no less. It really was the perfect vacay read, and even more perfect for the honeymoon. I, too, downloaded the sample for the second book, but I’ve been restraining myself from it. It’s like I’m trying to be my own dominator. Ha!

8. Paige Worthy says:

OKAY FINE I’LL READ IT.

9. Amber says:

I’m about halfway through. She’s just in the process of “negotiating” the contract with him. It’s… interesting. I wouldn’t say I like it, or that it’s good, it’s just different. And definitely hard to put down!

10. Marjolein says:

Hadn’t heard of it, maybe it’s not out here yet?

11. I have to admit it. I don’t get it. I heard the buzz. My friends love it. Friends who, like me have loved Twilight, Hunger Games, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo…I mean really, Shouldn’t this trilogy be right up my alley?

Nope.

Part way through the first book and I am not drawn to pick it up again.

12. Jenn says:

Only on the second chapter, but now I want to drop everything and read the entire thing.

13. Caz says:

I’ve heard a million good things about this book… will need to track it down.

14. Arielle says:

I have no plans to read this book, largely because of this hilarious yet scathing review: http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/fifty-shades-of-grey-the-thinking-womans-guide.html

15. I haven’t read it, and Winston actually heard about it before I did. (Strange!)

… Now I might have to give it a shot since you’ve read it and are clearly recommending it. And since you’ve read it, we could chat about it, too… Hmmm….

16. my favorite co-worker practically mowed me down on monday to tell me that she just started reading the book. she is obsessed and begging me to read it so she can have someone else to talk to about it.

I plan to read it because…I mean, really but I still need to finish mockingjay! and I’m dragging that out because I can’t bring myself to finish the hunger games series.

17. Jen says:

No, but I’m going to now!