09 May 2012

Sharing the same boob vision

Tagged: shopping

If you’ve met me in real life or seen photos of me, you know that I have a set of knockers.

Yes, I mean boobs.

It’s hereditary and my genes gave with two hands of tissue to create mine. Lucky me.

My small-chested friends say they’re jealous but really the grass isn’t greener on the other side.

More boobs, more problems.

One of these problems includes finding supportive bras and, well even just fitting in some clothes. Some button down shirts make me look like I’m “hulking” out of them in the chest.

So, in talking to a fellow big chested friend, I decided it was time to invest in some new undergarments but was very clear about how I would survive this horrific shopping experience.

“I need to find someone with the same boob vision as me.”

Basically, this means finding a saleswoman who is also big chested so we’re speaking the same language.

I went to a fitting once at Nordstrom with a small chested woman and she literally said, “I don’t know what to do with you.”

They’re boobs dear, not grenades.

Then, a friend told me about another store in Chicago that specializes in fittings for women sizes A-N. Clearly, this caters to women who may also feel insecure about their chests, like I do.

The fitting took about an hour and the woman listened to my irrational insecurities and issues and then came back with a few to try on. She even complimented me on my “voluminous” chest. Well, thank you.

Finding bras when you’re full chested is not the sexiest feeling. Especially when you see magazine photos of women who look great in them, but it never translates to your chest.

That said, I found one that worked for me. Sure, it was expensive but if I’m going to keep this chest, I need to feel good about it, and this helped me feel that way.

1. Janalee says:

Three things:
    1) I have mine shipped in from this place in South Carolina called Bits of Lace. I always order the Prima Donna brand, seems like no matter what style I get the size is perfect. Pricey but 100% worth it. Heavy Chested Girls should probably just avoid department stores when purchasing bras.

2)Everyone should be fitted at least every couple of years. Even if it doesn’t seem like it, your girls change frequently and getting the right fit is crucial to look great in your clothes.

3)That said, for girls who are heavy chested and small waisted find yourself a tailor, by the size that fits your chest (no gaps or pulling in the buttons) and spend the extra $20 to get a perfect fit. You’ll look amazing and feel awesome about yourself.

2. San says:

I am like Stevie and Super Girl… small frame, large chest. It sucks. What bothers me, too, is that you can get a bra fitting, but it still doesn’t mean that all 32D (or whatever) bras will fit, you know? The styles are all so different. When I find a bra that fits, I usually buy multiples, just to have some int stock.

Where did you find this wonderbra?

3. Girl, I understand. My girls are larger and I need A LOT of support. I can’t go bra-less in public, like some lucky gals. So yes, I get where you’re coming from. Totally.

“Boobs are expensive yo, but finding someone who shares your boob vision is priceless.”

I couldn’t agree with you more on this. It’s so not a fun process to support the ladies but it has to be done. I just found a legit sportsbra and it has seriously changed my world. No more giant uni-boob here, hurrah! Haha.

The girls can’t handle your grnades, my love…lol :)

6. Stevie says:

I totally get it. I have big boobs but a smaller frame so it can be really difficult to find bras that fit and offer enough support. It’s a pain in the ass, and a pain on my wallet! But it’s so worth it to find a good fit.

I’ve also found that for button down shirts, the ones in the plus size section work really well. Even though I’m petite, my boobs aren’t so I definitely get that puckering in the chest area. But the plus sized shirts actually have extra room in them so that doesn’t happen. It only took me decades to figure that out…

I feel like we’ve talked about this before. I’m a full C, maybe even a D and I loathe buying tops. I’m also very skinny, so I could really use a medium or large shirt for my top half, my waist is still a small. I always feel like I’m popping out of button downs. Even when I buy a bigger size, after a few washes they feel so tight. I think I also have a long torso, so I get really cranky about shirts riding up. So I try to find extra long shirts, and again, I’ll find them and then after a couple washes they shrink up.

The grass is certainly not always greener. Regardless, I still love my assets :-)

8. Aileen says:

I think I have commented before on a post you did about boobs and I have to say I love my big boobs. However now Im pregnant and not meant to wear underwired bras they ar upseting me as I feel non wired bras dont give as much support. However I digress! I am glad you got a proper bra fitting with someone with the same boob vision as you as that is so important. It does annoy me when my friends can buy a bra that cost 5 pounds but because I have big boobs I have to pay through the nose for a nice one but hey ho. In the UK we have a shop called Bravissimo which specializes in big boobs and most of the staff are large chested as well. We also have a spin off shop called pepperberry which makes clothes for big chested girls. It means I can buy a button down shirt that fits me on the chest without popping but also fits me on the shoulders etc as I havent had to go for a shirt that is 2 sizes too big for me! Anyway sorry for the essay and again congrats on finding someone with good boob vision!!

9. Michelle says:

I’d put money on the shop being Intimacy, yes?

I live in MN & it is the closest one to me. They have my measurements on file so I can order bras over the phone. I try to get back once a year to be re-measured.

Wearing a great bra has done wonders for my quality of life. I’ve recommended them to every “awkardly” (that sounds negative, but I don’t intend it that way) sized woman I know – large or small.

10. allison says:

hell yes, boob vision is priceless.

11. Amber says:

I have tiny boobs. Barely a B cup. Honestly? I love it. I can go braless no problem (and often do) and they never get in my way when I’m working out. Sure there are times I wouldn’t mind having a BIT of cleavage and wish my boobs were bigger (like with my wedding dress) but those moments are few and far between!

I’m glad you invested in a good bra. I think that’s so important!

12. Granted I don’t have big boobs, but I still needed a bra fitting, and the lady at Dillards didn’t know what to do with me either! I think every woman needs a professional fitting every so often. Glad you found one that works with your boob vision!

13. Jenn says:

Excellent advice. I’m going to seek out the saleswoman with the biggest rack next time I’m shopping for bras (which, let’s face it, needed to happen three months ago).

14. They’re boobs dear, not grenades. —hahahaha

It’s funny, the grass is always greener…as I am small chested and want just a bit more “umph” lol.

15. Lacey Bean says:

Umm I was on the other side of this before, but during pregnancy and now breastfeeding, I totally get it. My chest is HUGE and my friend Allison keeps saying how she’s jealous. Trust me, there’s nothing to be jealous about!!! They’re ridiculous.

16. Karen Bee says:

AMEN. I need to find a place like that because having to order bras in my size online is kind of frustrating. I wish I had disco boobies instead of a triple-D situation.

17. NoodlesinCHI says:

Dude! I speak your language. Did you go to My Intimacy on Michigan Ave? They are, without a doubt, the bestest for the breastes. (See the rhyme I made there?)

18. caryn says:

i am glad to see pham saw this – maybe it made him blush.

“They’re boobs dear, not grenades.” best line of the day.

19. Arielle says:

I totally feel you. I do not wear button down shirts EVER because I’m pretty sure they cannot work unless you’re totally flat.

20. phampants says:

And the conversation continues.