12 June 2012

Aloha Hawaii

Tagged: travel

In my quest to take over the world, I’m ready to add another travel notch in my belt.

Hawaii, get off my list of places to see for the first time.

Yes, I spent seven days in the (insanely f*cking hot) sun and got sand in places I didn’t know was possible in Hawaii. Specifically, in Maui and Oahu.

And after a bumpy May, I was ready to get the hell out of Chicago and hit the beach.

So here are some things I learned on my trip and a few pictures too!

• Some sights are so beautiful you can’t breathe, but you have to go off the beaten path. And never judge a place by it’s exterior. Many buildings look old but are perfectly normal inside
  • Speed limits are only about 15-45 mph and everyone drives slower than that #killingmeslowly
  • There is some amazing food (but restaurants/bars are only open until 10 usually)
  • For the love of God, please wear sunscreen. All day, every day

Overall, the trip and time away was awesome. I did great on my own (with some text help from home) and had a chance to make my biggest deadline of the day that I be on the beach by 7 pm to watch the sun set over the mountains. Seriously.

On a sentimental note, I’ve wanted to see Hawaii, and specifically Pearl Harbor since I was a kid. It was something on my life list and I had a moment when I saw the USS Arizona Memorial for the first time in person, like, THIS IS HAPPENING! It is a truly humbling moment.

Now I’m back in Chicago for summer and enjoying my tanned skin :)

And honestly, I’m in a bit of a travel flummox right now. I honestly don’t know where to go next!

1. allison says:

welcome back! I want to stand in black sand.

2. I want to go to there.

3. So pretty! My number one reason to go to Hawaii would be Pearl Harbor as well. I can’t wait until I get to go!

4. LWLH says:

Looks amazing….I agree, some of the sights out there really do just take your breathe away.

OK. After all the tweets about the poi or whatever kind of amazeballs food it was, I can’t believe you didn’t describe exactly what it is! Gimme the scoop!

6. jaime says:

You travel so much!! Jealous ;) Great pics…never been either. Those pancakes look yummy too haha.

7. Beautiful!! Glad you had a great time.

I’m sure a travel idea will strike you before you know it :)

i mean this trip looks like it was amazing. seriously your pictures are breathtaking! so glad you had such a fabulous time. and yeah, i totally remember how slow everyone moves there, it’s such a wake up call, haha.

9. Marjolein says:

Sounds and looks amazing!

10. Amber says:

Oooh sounds amazing. I am dying to visit Hawaii. We have never taken a tropical vacation but when we do that’s where we’re going. I’d way rather visit Hawaii over Mexico!

11. I would love to go to Hawaii again.I had my 5th birthday there and while I remember it I would love to experience it as an adult. I do recognize the black sand beach though!

12. Carolyn says:

Hawaii has always been a place I got back on forth on whether or not I want to visit there. But your pictures have just put it back on the list of must see places!!!

13. Ugh…how amazing! I am so happy for you that you’ve been able to go to so many great places. You keep forgetting to take me with you, though. ;)

14. Jill says:

I’ve been following your blog for a little while and really enjoy your updates :) As a Chicagoan transplanted to San Francisco, it helps me to still feel somewhat connected to my favorite city. Anyway, my boyfriend and I traveled to maui and oahu last month – also for the first time – and loved it! Glad you had a good time and must say I’m jealous of all your travels!

15. Arielle says:

Your trip looks amazing! I’m super jealous. Glad to have you back, though =)