28 August 2012

Evolution of birthdays

Tagged: Random

I may play it cool but I love celebrating birthdays. And when you’re a kid, birthdays are like a mid-year Christmas. Huge parties, friends everywhere, running around, gifts and CAKE.

As you get older, the birthday parties change a bit.

Then, once you hit college and/or 21 (whatever comes first), it begins the next phase of celebrating, which involves copious amounts of alcohol, dancing and maybe making out with someone at the bar.

I mean, that phase is fun, but the feeling of being the center of attention or that your birthday is super, super special, changes a bit. Rather than others coordinating your birthday celebration, you make it yourself, or whatever you want it to be.

And at this stage, I celebrate my birthday low-key and by doing whatever I want.

This year, it was pretty much perfect. In fact, the day went exactly in this order:

• Sleep in (til 9 am people!!)
  • Got doughnuts
  • Took cab to massage (so I could properly enjoy my doughnut)
  • Massage and rain shower (I never wanted to leave)
  • Lunch (trio of BBQ)
  • Architecture boat tour
  • Dinner with dad

If I could have magically fit in a mani/pedi there, that would have been the icing, but it was still, a damn nice day. The plague even lightened up that day so I could enjoy it. And have a drink.

So now I’m another year older and I opted not to do a retrospective post because I realized I would just be saying the same thing.

I started last year feeling very uncertain about many things. And I’m still uncertain about them. But despite some serious bumps over the last year and last eight months, I’m feel like myself again and am happy. I continue to learn, be challenged and focus on the positives and important things in my life.

Recently, a friend tagged a photo that said 33 is supposed to be the best age because, “You’ve likely got love, work and friends down. Plus, you’re having fun and psyched about the future.”

I definitely don’t have all of those things figured out now, but I would agree, I’m psyched to see what the future holds.

Cheers to another year and trip around the sun.

1. Kez says:

Happy birthday!! Sounds like you had my fantasy birthday :)
    I am a birthday person and I like celebrating too – in my own way! Sometimes I feel like a party but other times I like a quiet day all of my own :)
    I’ve had a few dud years of birthdays unfortunately, but I have high hopes for next year haha.
    xo

2. LWLH says:

Sounds like an awesome day to me! :)

3. I’m really looking forward to my 30s. My 20s–particularly the early years–had a lot of rough times and I kind of think of them as practice for being a grownup. I think I’ve gotten the hang of it over the past couple of years, but I think that the 30s are where it’s really at ;) So glad you had a great birthday, and I hope 33 is everything you wish for and more!!

sounds like a fabulous way to spend your birthday, i love it.

5. Paula says:

Happy belated birthday, Jess!

I’ll be joining you at 33 come October and I’m excited to see what it might hold. I might not be doing what I THOUGHT I’d be doing come 33, but life is so unpredictable you never know WHAT might be around the corner….

6. Your birthday sounds amazing! Perfect way to celebrate the day. Hope 33 brings good things!

7. I call BS on that photo. No one ever has all three of those things figured out, and if they do I’d like to meet that person.

Happy birthday! Your idea of a celebration is right up my alley.

8. jaime says:

happy belated birthday! :) I agree, bdays are not what they used to be as kids… sigh haha

9. I’m so glad that you had a great birthday indulging in your favorite things. I’m in the phase where I love traveling for my birthday – I want to be gifted with an experience rather than an item.

I hope my 27th brings about a birthday make out session – I would gladly welcome that!!

10. Arielle says:

Sounds like a lovely birthday. =) And you know, I don’t think I’ve ever had a birthday bar makeout. Haha. Maybe that will change this year. Happy 33rd! =) Hope to see your awesome face soon.