17 September 2012

Tea time!

Tagged: Food, Random

This week, I leave for London.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OMG IT’S TIME!!!

There are so many things I’m excited about for this trip and I’m focusing on those and not my nerves.

So to kick off vacation right (once I arrive), I scheduled an Afternoon Tea session at Fortnum & Mason’s Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon at the recommendation of my food guru, Robin.

And to prepare for my formal English tea service (because I’m not that fancy), I went with two friends to high tea at The Drake’s Palm Court in Chicago. It’s not London, but it gave me a chance to observe and prepare myself because, I don’t want to that girl at tea.

Okay, I don’t know that much about tea but it’s fancy and fun experience and I am really kind of digging it.

So here are some photos to show a lovely afternoon with good friends, conversation and snacks. Pinkies up!

Palm Court at The Drake Hotel – The harpist was on a break

Menu and fancy china. Obviously, tea is on the menu

Three tiers of joy. My favorite: second tier in the center. Roast beef w/horseradish. Divine

Three lovely ladies at tea – Instagram style

How was your weekend?

1. Elizabeth says:

Have so much fun! I’m kind of (okay, a lot!) jealous, and I hope it’s an incredible visit!

2. Cheryl says:

No scones with clotted cream? That’s the best part of tea! Hope you get some in London!

3. AAD says:

I am a long time reader but have NEVER commented. However, I am also hoping to plan a trip to London in the near future to see Robbie Williams! Did you plan everything yourself? What sites did you use? Are you doing a group tour? Or solo? What hotel? So many questions! Please email me!

4. Aileen says:

You will love London, its ace. I will be there 6 weeks on Friday and cannot wait! Since you are such a goodies I would advise you to visit Borough Market. Loads of different cheeses, meats, brewed etc and most of the stalls give you freebies! I love it! Enjoy your visit!

that seriously looks like so much fun and i don’t even love tea all that much. but YAY LONDON! i can’t believe your trip is here! hope you have the most fabulous time.

6. Marjolein says:

I am officially jealous… seriously, enjoy! London is such a fantastic city and definitely go for the cream tea (tea and scones) as often as you can!

7. Fuuuuun!!! And I just love going to high tea. There’s something about tiny food that just really does it for me!

8. allison says:

Can’t wait to read all about your London adventures. And I like my tea with milk and a lot of sugar.

9. when i saw your fancy tea photo on instagram it reminded of me when i did high tea at the savoy in london – GO THERE when you are there!!!

and have fun, lady! xo

10. I love, love, love the Drake. I can never decide between it and the Palmer house when visiting Chicago. Sure there are newer more modern, sexier hotels. But I like the old world glamour of those two.

11. L.C.C. says:

Ahhh we had Afternoon Tea at F&M Diamond Jubilee Tea Room a couple of months ago – it was AMAZING! Hope you have such a great time in our lovely capital :)

12. Kez says:

I went to a high tea on the weekend too! How yummy is it?! :)
    I’ve been to two in two months – it clearly is THE thing to do! The only thing I hate is when there’s that awkward moment where no-one wants to be the first to grab some food for themselves so everyone sits there awkwardly, waiting for some kind of cue to start indulging! I suppose that’s more common in bigger party groups than enjoying it with a couple of friends!

Have fun “across the pond”! x