17 September 2012

Tea time!

Tagged: Food, Random

This week, I leave for London.

There are so many things I’m excited about for this trip and I’m focusing on those and not my nerves.

So to kick off vacation right (once I arrive), I scheduled an Afternoon Tea session at Fortnum & Mason’s Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon at the recommendation of my food guru, Robin.

And to prepare for my formal English tea service (because I’m not that fancy), I went with two friends to high tea at The Drake’s Palm Court in Chicago. It’s not London, but it gave me a chance to observe and prepare myself because, I don’t want to that girl at tea.

Okay, I don’t know that much about tea but it’s fancy and fun experience and I am really kind of digging it.

So here are some photos to show a lovely afternoon with good friends, conversation and snacks. Pinkies up!

Palm Court at The Drake Hotel – The harpist was on a break

Menu and fancy china. Obviously, tea is on the menu

Three tiers of joy. My favorite: second tier in the center. Roast beef w/horseradish. Divine

Three lovely ladies at tea – Instagram style

How was your weekend?

1. Elizabeth says:

Have so much fun! I’m kind of (okay, a lot!) jealous, and I hope it’s an incredible visit!

2. Cheryl says:

No scones with clotted cream? That’s the best part of tea! Hope you get some in London!

3. AAD says:

I am a long time reader but have NEVER commented. However, I am also hoping to plan a trip to London in the near future to see Robbie Williams! Did you plan everything yourself? What sites did you use? Are you doing a group tour? Or solo? What hotel? So many questions! Please email me!

4. Aileen says:

You will love London, its ace. I will be there 6 weeks on Friday and cannot wait! Since you are such a goodies I would advise you to visit Borough Market. Loads of different cheeses, meats, brewed etc and most of the stalls give you freebies! I love it! Enjoy your visit!

that seriously looks like so much fun and i don’t even love tea all that much. but YAY LONDON! i can’t believe your trip is here! hope you have the most fabulous time.

6. Marjolein says:

I am officially jealous… seriously, enjoy! London is such a fantastic city and definitely go for the cream tea (tea and scones) as often as you can!

7. Fuuuuun!!! And I just love going to high tea. There’s something about tiny food that just really does it for me!

8. allison says:

Can’t wait to read all about your London adventures. And I like my tea with milk and a lot of sugar.

9. when i saw your fancy tea photo on instagram it reminded of me when i did high tea at the savoy in london – GO THERE when you are there!!!

and have fun, lady! xo

10. I love, love, love the Drake. I can never decide between it and the Palmer house when visiting Chicago. Sure there are newer more modern, sexier hotels. But I like the old world glamour of those two.

11. L.C.C. says:

Ahhh we had Afternoon Tea at F&M Diamond Jubilee Tea Room a couple of months ago – it was AMAZING! Hope you have such a great time in our lovely capital :)

12. Kez says:

I went to a high tea on the weekend too! How yummy is it?! :)
    I’ve been to two in two months – it clearly is THE thing to do! The only thing I hate is when there’s that awkward moment where no-one wants to be the first to grab some food for themselves so everyone sits there awkwardly, waiting for some kind of cue to start indulging! I suppose that’s more common in bigger party groups than enjoying it with a couple of friends!

Have fun “across the pond”! x