29 November 2012

My first kid’s birthday party

Tagged: Friends, Random

I’m at the stage where many of my friends are having kids, or on their second one. Yikes, it’s THAT time?

But with that stage comes kid birthday parties. First off, I loved birthdays as a kid. Presents, cake, singing, games, GOODIE BAGS. It’s the best.

And now that I’m on the other side of the kid’s birthday party, I can say this as a single lady attendee:

They.are.terrifying.

Not too long ago, I was invited to a friend’s son’s birthday party and after missing his last two, I made it a point to be there and support the mom (my friend) and her adorable family.

There were 10 children, their parents and four non-parent, single/engaged people.

Everyone brought gifts for the birthday boy, I brought two bottles of wine. I AM THAT FRIEND.

But all that wine was gone by the end of the night :) Just saying.

I don’t spend a ton of time around kids, especially large groups of them, so when the kids gathered for pinata and present time, and the kids were screaming (at a deafening decibel), laughing, running around in a herd, I had a moment of intense, “holy shit, there are so many of them.”

And I think they smelled my fear.

Or at least the parents did because several of them came up to me and another non-parent friend saying, “so did you guys survive that?” or “Does this make you want to hold off in having kids?”

Clearly, they’ve been in our shoes.

Yes, it was a bit terrifying but it was still fun to watch them get excited opening gifts and look a tad confused when everyone sang “Happy Birthday.”

And since more kids parties are in my future, I will be stocking up on the wine. It was a hit.

1. Leahchristine says:

I was just at one where all the toddlers fought over opening the presents. It was loud, slightly manic and a little terrifyng. But my husband and I survived!!

Children’s birthday parties can be ridiculous. I have serious judginess about them. And I totally think the wine was a fabulous idea!

3. Bringing wine to a kids’ party. BRILLIANT. I’m stealing your idea but I will give you credit :)

I like kids’ parties to a degree. I love seeing my favorite little ones surrounded by their friends having fun but once the noise level hits that piercing level, I’m OUT. The noise is unreal and by that point, I can’t even pretend to not let it get to me so it’s best for everyone that I make my exit.

4. LWLH says:

Haha….kids birthday parties….they can be a blast or a nightmare.

dude i love kids and all, but i think alcohol at kids’ parties is the best thing ever. so nice present :)

6. Aileen says:

ALWAYS bring wine to a kids party, it helps with the annoyance factor and be selfish, keep it to yourslelf if no one else has been sensible enough to bring some!! In all seriousness I love kids and have just had my first one and still need wine to deal with them! Well done for going, I tried not to ttend childrens parties before I had mine but I suppose I will have to amke the effort now! X

7. nora says:

Awesome idea to bring wine! I’ve been to a few of those parties myself and I usually wind up helping out with cake/presents/food because.. I guess I can’t sit still? Definitely in no rush to have babies over here though, I can tell you that!

You are a saint for even agreeing to go to that. I’ve decided I’m done with kids birthday parties. I don’t understand why parents invite parents kids who aren’t there or adults who have no relation to the child ! Have an adult party with your friends and have a kids party for your kid’s friends. Your kid isn’t old enough to have friends? Why are you having a party??

Okay, wow, that got me all riled up. I apologize for my heated views on this.

9. allison says:

Here’s my thing with kids – let’s talk to them like adults and not use baby voices. I think THAT’S why kids tend to like me. I still don’t get it myself but I had a whole class of preschoolers loving the “It’s Thanksgiving” youtube video when I visited my mom’s classroom.

Hell yes – I’m popular among 4 year olds.

10. jaime says:

lol im at at the stage too- i am hosting a baby shower for my bff tomorrow. I look at them from afar lol

11. Jenn says:

We’re the complete opposite.

I went to my first non-family member kid’s party a few weeks back with Dan. It was at some kid cafe, so there were a TON of things to climb on, throw, break, etc. I grabbed a beer and buckled in for the ride. I wanted to touch every little face and coddle and coo at all the babies. But once the crying started, I already had an escape plan in my head.