13 February 2013

Run JB Run!

Tagged: Random

I am not a runner.

The most consistent running I’ve done (that’s not a sprint to be a crowd at a store or to chase food trucks), is when I played tennis in high school and had to run before practice.

My coach was super strict and insisted all of his players run a 9 minute mile. Anything less than that was unacceptable. I could play tennis and run around the court but I just was not a proper runner. And thus, shin splints, tears, and 9++ minute miles later, it was just an awful experience.

A lot of my friends are runners, both marathon and social. And it got me thinking, I never beat that 9 minute mile before and even though I’m well past high school and that coach is no longer in the picture, I kind of want to make that goal one day. Or just test myself to know I can run, run properly and complete a race.

And after years of saying I’ll do it, thinking about it or just procrastinating on it, I’ve decided to do it. It’s one of my 2013 goals.

Thanks to a friend, I’m signing up for the Chicago Endurance Sports No Boundaries program, which teaches you how to run, run properly and train you and a group for a 5K in April.

I’m a little nervous but also really, really excited.

Sure, 5K/3.1 miles is probably nothing to some, but it is to me.

As part of my 2013 change, I need to push myself mentally and physically, and this is the first part of that.

Hopefully, this goes way better than tennis practice did years ago.

1. Caryn says:

Good for you, doll! You can do it! I’m starting to run more so we can commiserate together! Good luck!!

2. Yay! That is so exciting!

Hope the group running is going well! I know for me I love the racing and it becomes a fun thing to do – especially with friends. Training stinks but racing is fun.

Can’t wait to hear about your progress!

woo hoo! you are such a rock star, you got this!

4. Good for you! I ran track in high school (sprints) but distance, and I classify a mile as distance, has always been a challenge for me. I can go like h#ll for a short period but after that…yikes. I have found now that I am older that a lot of it is mental and if I can make it through the first 10 minutes…I am golden.

5. Jenn says:

So excited for/proud of you! Good luck!

P.S. Shin splints are the devil.

6. Marjolein says:

Good luck, and ejoy! Choosing proper training instead of setting out by yourself sounds like a very wise move. :)

7. Awesome! Training programs are definitely the way to go — you’ll have way more fun that way than doing it on your own.

8. Zoot says:

Signing up for one of those training groups is where I started. Less than 2 years later I was running my first 50K. :)

Good luck!

9. SO proud of you signing up, Jess. That’s an awesome first step! And I hope you enjoy this a LOT more than tennis practice. (Side note: Remember there is beer at the end. Do not forget that. This gets me through a LOT of runs… including that marathon I’m planning to run. Someone WILL be waiting with a beer for me around mile 20. This will make all the difference. … I am convincing myself of it. Ha.)

I hope you’re doing well. Expect an e-mail from me later today! Sorry I’m such a slacker these days, lovely!

10. Noodles says:

You are going to rock this, sister! I can’t wait to see you cross the finish line in April!! (Added bonus: The race shirts this year look super cute.)

11. Jenny says:

I am so proud of you Jess! I have run multiple marathons so please call me with any questions, I am an encyclopedia when it comes to running! My #1 tip for you is to go to a running store like Fleet Feet and get properly fitted for sneakers. Don’t run in the same sneakers you’ve had for a while either. Trust me, this is HUGE! I also recommend on buying running-specific socks that have padding to prevent blisters. You will thank me later :)

Awesome!! A program like that is exactly how I started running after having horrible memories of it from junior high. I hope your group is just as awesome as mine was. Maybe you’ll find a new passion!

13. Lauren says:

Congrats! This is great. As a non-runner somehow turned runner, I want to share some words that would have been helpful for me in the beginning. Yes, it hurts. Keep going. It hurts for everyone. Choose to keep going. Let it be fun! When I start to hate running, I find a friend and do a beer run. I run one mile, have a beer, run another mile and so on. It’s a fun pub crawl and reminds you that running will not kill you.

So excited to hear about your sub-9 minute mile!