25 March 2013

Running in to a setback

Tagged: Random

I’ll preface this post by saying that it will be slightly dramatic because that is how I’m feeling today.

Since February, I’ve been training for a 5K through Chicago Endurance Sports. It’s been tough and challenging and I love it. It was also part of my 2013 goals and given me a lot of what I was looking for in this new test.

And now I have to stop, immediately. And, well, I’m pretty upset.

Over the weekend I started developing really bad heel pain, which I thought was part of just “learning to run.” Let me tell you, it is PAINFUL to learn a new sport sometimes.

Sunday, I ran through it, and it was excruciating. So, to be proactive, I went to a physical therapist for a free injury screening and am going again tomorrow for a second opinion.

And they told me exactly what I didn’t want to hear: Achilles tendinitis.

No running, excessive walking, or elliptical machines for a few weeks (depending on the level of pain). And when the pain does go away, I have to start over with running to slowly ease in to it again.

They may as well have cut my leg off. *dramatic*

That means, very likely no 5K at the end of April or, I definitely won’t be running all of it, which was my original goal. And with vacation in early May, I definitely can’t jeopardize it.

I’m crushed by this for several reasons. Running made me feel stronger and in shape. And now hearing that I have to stop everything altogether (minus some weight training), is upsetting.

I finally got in to a good rhythm and space and now I have to stop.

I hate my body and I’m trying to keep the negative, self-defeating thoughts away too.

So, I’m going to allow myself to be sad and upset, and then I will focus on getting better. Because I will not be in pain while on vacation. And I will NOT let this stop me.

I will run, I will do a 5K and I will run all of it.

But for now, there is still some disappointment and errant tears.

1. Sonja Vandemark says:

Heel pain is most often caused by plantar fasciitis, a condition that is sometimes also called heel spur syndrome when a spur is present. Heel pain may also be due to other causes, such as a stress fracture, tendonitis, arthritis, nerve irritation, or, rarely, a cyst.,..-.

Go look at our own blog page too http://picturesofherpes.colu

2. Alton Warnasch says:

Most elliptical trainers work the user’s upper and lower body (although some models do not have moving upper body components). Though elliptical trainers are considered to be minimal-impact, they are an example of a weight-bearing form of exercise. ;**^

Most current article provided by our new homepage http://livinghealthybulletin.comlb

3. Sonja says:

Ok, I’m way behind on reading. But, frustrating as it is, you’re a runner now. Injury that keeps you from running and all. Learning when not to run, is as much learning to be a runner as running. Ask pretty much any of us at NoBo, we’ve all had the injury (or multiple) that sets us back. It’s painful, it’s emotionally draining, it sucks. When you are able to come back, though, you’ll do so stronger and smarter. You don’t lose what you’ve gained mentally, in fact, you’ll probably be surprised by how much you learn about running by not running.

As someone who had a similar issue several years back (with my knee + running) I know you feel. I mourned running. I felt destructive (I can see why athletes do stupid crap when they get injured) and I was just plain blah. My PT told me that I shouldn’t ever run more than 3-6 miles for races and to watch my training if I do run. It SUCKS. I’m doing a 5k hopefully in May and as I type this my bum knee is smarting, like it knows that I’m talking bad about it.

I hope the rest helps and that you are able to ease back into running! Definitely know how you feel! xo

blergh i’m sorry friend! i hope you heal quickly and eventually you’ll kick ass doing a 5K!

Bummer! As a runner who has been injured I totally know how much it sucks. But don’t let this deter you from crossing the finish line at a future 5K. Get some PT and learn what you can do to keep yourself injury-free and you will get out there and be better than ever!

7. Oh no~! That is so incredibly frustrating. My sister did the same thing a while back. She essentially went from not running (but being active in other ways) to running all the time…which promptly lead to a stress fracture. Take your time and heal and then come back stronger than ever! You can do it!

8. Jenn says:

Boo hiss! I’m sorry m’dear :(

Did they give you any tips for avoiding this type of injury in the future?

9. I completely understand — I went through the same thing with my own leg. The frustration may stick around for a while too, but good that you got it checked out early before it got even worse. It’s a strong reminder of how important it is to listen to your body and be gentle with it. You’ll be back to running soon, and you’ll get your 5k — I have no doubt.

10. Marjolein says:

Oh no! That’s just horrible. I’m sorry you have to give up on your goal, or at least for now. I hope it heals soon!

11. Caryn says:

I am sorry for this setback. that sucks. You worked so hard. You are completely entitled to feel frustrated and angry. Try to channel that feeling into pride.I know you want to keep going, but Be proud of how far you came and how much you progressed from when you first started. Hopefully next time you train it willbethatmuch easier. And you’re right, there will be more races for you to train for. Probably with a new pair of shoes, though.